Re: Kinda OT: Email clients and Email Management

On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 09:37:25 +1030
Tim via users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I did that because I want to avoid receiving spam and private messages
> from strangers on the list.  Twenty-plus years of being on mailing
> lists has taught me that they're full of nutters, and a prime cause of
> masses of spam.  And that automatic anti-spam systems always screw up.

I should of done that... I am on a mailing list that for some reason I
wasn't getting that person's messages and could only see what they said
when someone replied to them.. That would of worked perfectly in that
situation.

I changed hosting providers.. I think that fixed it.....

> I'd do it all (send and receive) through an external service, but they
> tend to erroneously reject list mail as spam, so I receive the
> messages on a service that doesn't do that, it only accepts mail from
> the list, and does no other filtering.  Since I don't want that
> service to get spammed (not having to manage that traffic in any
> way), I avoid exposing its address by posting to the list from
> another address that rejects all mail.

I dont mind people coming to me OL... Until they say mean and hateful
things in their email. And then, you get a special filter set up in your
honor that has Claws silently delete your emails and not let me know
that you sent me something :)

> If you use the usual public services, gmail, yahoo, etc., they all
> have uncontrollable and fallible anti-spam systems.  It means you
> have to continually check your junk mail folder for false positives
> (so what's the damn point in doing any filtering?).  Or, you don't
> bother checking, and you seriously piss someone off who's been trying
> to contact you, or simply miss out on solutions to problems and work,
> completely unaware that you're missing some mail.

You can turn off Gmail's spam filtering:

*Create Filter*

in:spam ( never send to spam)

label:spam ( never send to spam)

is:spam ( never send to spam)