Re: Wayland and Xfce

Tim:
>> If a graphical user interface needs instructions to be usable, it's
>> failed in its creation.  The whole point of having such an
>> interface is that you can see what's on offer, and how to use it.

Samuel Sieb:
> Are you trying to tell me that if I gave a system running Mate to
> someone that has never used a computer, they would somehow
> automatically know how to use it?

Do you think it'd be hard to work out?  At some stage we all were first
users.  I never found it hard to work out how to use such an interface.

Phones and tablets, on the other hand, required a lot of hunting around
all over the place.

>> Don't ever hold up Windows as an example of good design!  But the
>> idea, which was *NOT* Windows invented, of organised menus,
>> applications in individual windows, and a taskbar to control them,
>> is one of the most productive interfaces.

> Do you have any evidence for that?  But besides, Gnome still has most
> of that.  I have no need for a menu of applications or a taskbar.  I
> have more screen space and quicker access without them.

Windows never had organised menus, it was always all dumped into a
disorganised clutter.  I don't recall who came up with the taskbar
first.  And I saw applications in individual windows long before I saw
it in Windows.

> Are you aware that desktop systems are becoming a minority now.  I
> had to convince my work to let me have a desktop instead of a laptop
> for software development.

That may be, but I've yet to encounter any touch screen laptops.
They're a rarity.  Putting a touch screen style interface on a non-
touch screen is just stupidity.

> That list of applications can be arranged if you want.  You can make
> folders and you can move the icons around.  But I don't even use any
> of that.  It's much faster to start applications with the
> keyboard.  Press the Logo key, type a few characters, hit enter.

I've never found that faster.  And for one thing, you've got to know
what to type.  It doesn't help that many applications have lunatic
names.

> With Mate, I would have to click on the applications menu, guess
> which category it would be under, carefully move the mouse to get the
> right menu, then click to start it.

Seriously?  You'd have to *guess* that office software might be in an
office category?  Categorised menus would be the *only* way that some
people might find some program that they've never used, or heard of,
before.  It's either that, or just go around randomly running every
application you find on your icon screen.  Yeah, that's a really
intelligent interface design, not.

And you're not forced to do that, either.  You can dump a gazillion
icons on the desktop if you want to.  Or shortcuts on task bars.

Since most applications tend to be mouse operated, anyway, it's less
painful to be swapping between mouse and keyboard and just keep using
the same interface device.

> You're free to use whatever DE you want, but stop being so
> negative about Gnome.  It's not helpful and what are you saying
> about all the people that actually like it and are very productive
> with it?

Stop being a Gnome apologist.  Current Gnome *is* a bad idea, Gnome
defenders are the new flat-earthers.  I'm quite sick of people who
can't take criticism and keep la-la-laing with their fingers in the
ears any time someone points out the crappiness of something, defending
it's horrors to the death as the new way.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.49.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 30 15:51:32 UTC 2021 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.