Re: Wayland and Xfce

George N. White III writes:

I don't think that is a realistic description of the effort that goes into DE designs.
Linux developers have to have a target class of users in mind, and also try
to make it easy for users to migrate from Apple and Microsoft DE's.

I agree. Now, it would be interesting to ask someone, who worked on a Windows or an Apple desktop for years, to sit down in front of Gnome 3; and ask them to do something simple. I'm curious to see what the results are.

I'm going to add a disclaimer: I haven't looked into the state of the Gnome world in a number of years. Perhaps things have moved closer to the pre- Gnome 3 state. But I doubt it. The day job uses Ubuntu, and a year ago I was due for a new laptop, so they shipped me a brand new one, with Ubuntu 20. I took a very, very brief look at Gnome (before installing the XFCE desktop), and it was pretty much a collection of very unique UI concepts that I remembered from the initial days of Gnome 3. I had to run a marathon sprint with my mouse to do anything; first move the mouse to one corner to open the activities page, then move the mouse to the other side of the screen to the right icon, then finally click it.

Before risking carpal tunnel I quickly installed the xfce desktop and created plain, garden variety, permanent app shortcuts on the desktop.

There is actually a lot of research behind Microsoft and Apple user interface
designs, including focus groups and testing.   In my field (remote sensing)  I

So, can someone point to me at the results of this research, in Windows, or MacOS, that looks like Gnome 3 and its apparently default workflow?