Re: Failure in gsetting up a UEFI USB Flash with Fedora 33??

On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 06:51:47PM +1000, Michael D. Setzer II via users wrote:
> Not sure how I can be clearer? Have a system that works
> fine with regular booting from a USB, but doesn't work
> on a new machine? Looking for a way to get it to work.
> Syslinux 6.04pre has some efi stuff, but I've tried it a
> couple times, and didn't work. Last release files go back
> to 2016??

Newer machines == no longer supports legacy boot.

Maybe you should look at some of the other suggestions on your
project's forums, such as using Refind?  It might be easier to create
a bootable disk using refind than trying to build your own image?

> > Also, you apparently ignored the part where he told you that there is no
> > point in trying to use grub-install.  It's not useful for EFI.  You just
> > need to copy a few files into the right directories.
>
> Question: Have a web site that I mentioned that says the
> grub2-install actually did work at some point, and a user
> on this list said that he used it in the past with no issue.
>
> If grub2-install doesn't support efi why does man
> grub2-install show
>  grub-install [--modules=MODULES] [--install-modules=MODULES]
>                      [--themes=THEMES] [--fonts=FONTS] [--locales=LOCALES]
>                      [--compress[=no,xz,gz,lzo]] [-d | --directory=DIR]
>                      [--grub-mkimage=FILE] [--boot-directory=DIR]
>                      [--target=TARGET] [--grub-setup=FILE]
>                      [--grub-mkrelpath=FILE] [--grub-probe=FILE]
>                      [--allow-floppy] [--recheck] [--force] [--force-file-id]
>                      [--disk-module=MODULE] [--no-nvram] [--removable]
>                      [--bootloader-id=ID] [--efi-directory=DIR]
>
> It lists efi-directory, and it has an option --removable that
> seems to be able create on a flash??
>
> So, did it work at some point, and someone decided to
> change it, and if so why didn't they remove the
> --efi-directory option??

If you are curious, here is the patch Fedora adds:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/grub2/blob/f34/f/0169-grub-install-disable-support-for-EFI-platforms.patch

This is where it's disabled.  GRUB2 has the capability, but it is
patched to not work because it doesn't make sense for *Fedora*.

> I've looked at the Dell machine I've got, and it is a 9020,
> and it boots the regular usb just fine. Did search thru the
> setup, and did find under the advanced bios option a
> check box to allow loading additional rom to support
> non-UEFI booting, and on my machine it is checked. It
> does say that if that isn't check you can not boot regular
> USB devices? Wondering if the 3080 machines might
> have this option unchecked, so I've sent a message to the
> user. So, it might be just enabling the option if it is there.
> If it isn't there still have an issue.

Intel and motherboard vendors have been saying they're going to drop
legacy bootloader support.  Honestly, I expected it sooner.  It looks
like you're seeing some Dells that don't support the legacy
bootloader.

Since you appear to be one of the people supporting G4L (I found the
thread that must be related to this:
https://sourceforge.net/p/g4l/discussion/408763/thread/24d7652d5f/?limit=25#88d0
) then I am sorry that Fedora isn't useful for creating your project's
boot images.  But the grub2 package for Fedora is built for booting
Fedora, and since it has signed EFI executables that can only be used
for booting signed Fedora kernels, that makes sense.

If you want to mess around with building your own UEFI capable boot
image with your own kernel and initrd, I suggest going to the GRUB2
web site and compiling it.

I think part of the confusion here was that many people didn't realize
you were basically a proxy for supporting someone else in another
forum.

--
Jonathan Billings <billings@xxxxxxxxxx>