Re: Failure in gsetting up a UEFI USB Flash with Fedora 33??

On 10 Sep 2021 at 16:10, Jonathan Billings wrote:

Date sent:      	Fri, 10 Sep 2021 16:10:50 -0400
From:           	Jonathan Billings <billings@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:             	users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:        	Re: Failure in gsetting up a UEFI USB
Flash with Fedora 33??
Send reply to:  	Community support for Fedora
users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On Sat, Sep 11, 2021 at 01:11:38AM +1000, Michael D. Setzer II via users wrote:
> > The G4L kernels require no kernel modules. That is one
> > the file system will work with any of the kernels with no
> > changes at all.  Just build new kernel, and copy it to the
> > boot directly ad change the lines in the syslinux.cfg to
> > match the latest kernel. Don't have to make any changes.
>
> So, that makes sense, and if this is a heavily customized,
> boot-from-ram system, then it would work fine with all the drivers
> compiled into the kernel and not as modules, although it would make
> the kernel rather large.

Kernels are currently about 10M in size since they
include Disk and Nic drivers, but don't have all the Video
and Sound and other things.

On my notebook here the 3 linux kernels plus the rescue
kernel are all 11M.
The initrd for the 3 linux kernels are 47M and the rescue
one  is 102M, while the G4L is about 30M, and that is all.
No disk that contains anything else needed. All runs in
the Ram.

> > After doing a dnf update on the build machine, have a
> > simple script that automatically copies any new program
> > files and libraries that were updated.
>
> Wait, I'm confused, now you are talking about dnf, I thought this was
> an all-in-one initrd system, what is using dnf?

I'm talking about if I boot from the Fedora Live cd to get
a system that will actually boot from the EFI. The Fedora
Live CD does boot just fine, but in a quick look I've found
there are 23 packages that are no included in the live cd
image, so if I tried to run the G4L script it would fail.

Comparing the bin sbin directors, I've found these
packages are not included.

dnf install ncftp nano dialog fsarchiver aespipe bwm-ng
dd_rescue ddrescue f3 hexedit iperf fuse-sshfs strace
testdisk hdparm dmidecode nvme-cli gpm rpcbind
partclone udpcast

So, to get the Fedora Live CD image to support the script
those need to be installed. Some might not be used by the
2460 line main script, but programs I've used to make
other things easier.

> > The kernels have the EFI option in the .config file, so the
> > kernels should be able to be loaded via the EFI process
> > somehow, but so far I haven't gotten it to work. Maybe I'll
> > eventual figure it out, or maybe not. Like I've said,
> > Clonzilla went with booting a distribution that supported
> > UEFI, and then added there stuff to that. Could do the
> > same, but it requires a lot more steps then simple booting
> > from a CD or USB...
>
> Where are you putting these kernels on the EFI volume?

That is what I'm trying to figure out. I'm trying to make a
Flash that has EFI boot setup. Might be if I had a system
setup with an EFI boot, I could place the kernel files in a
similar process to the 40_custom on the standard grub2.
I've tried a few options that created a flash that is seen as
a UEFI boot flash, but putting the iso image as some use
or the kernel and ramdisk files in places examples show,
it boots, and I can select but get blank screens or error
messages that don't give info. Should have documented
all of that, but once something failed went on to try other
options.

> For example, if you have the msdos-formatted volume mounted as
> /boot/efi, the EFI firmware looks for this:
>
> /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI
>
> ... by default.  You can make that be your kernel, a GRUB2 EFI
> executable or the shimx64.efi, which is what Fedora systems uses.  The
> shimx64.efi executable is a signed UEFI executable that launches
> GRUB2.  But if you want to disable Secure Boot, you could just put it
> in EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI and it should detect it by default.

But right now the  latest process I've been testing has a
line to install the grub2 with efi on the flash, but it comes
up with a message that it doesn't work because it doesn't
support secure EFI boot, and no files are placed in the
flash for the efi. The efi-386 install option goes thru fine,
but all kernels are now 64bit since Fedora no longer has
a 32 version of OS.

> > Seen some post on Windows 11 hardware requirements,
> > and it might soon make only secure boot a requirement
> > for anyone.
>
> The UEFI spec says that on x86_64 systems you should be able to
> disable secure boot.  Dell most likely has that option, because they
> have a lot of customers who need it. (for example, if you use nvidia
> and CUDA, you'll need to disable secure boot or manually install your
> own signing keys)

Think Disabling the Secure boot is not an issue. Person
has Dell 3070 machines that allow for the regular USB
boot, but just got 140 new Dell 3080 machines, and they
seem to have completely elimanated the option??

> > Just seems there should be a way to get it to
> > work, but I'm retired and gives me something to play
> > with. I don't have any machines that require UEFI boot.
> > Perhaps I should setup a system with UEFI, and see if the
> > 40_custome option works. I do know that a UEFI boot
> > system will fail to install memtest.
>
> libvirtd lets you set up UEFI VMs, even on systems that don't have
> UEFI boot, which is something I have.  In virt-manager, just click to
> configure the VM before starting the install, and go over into
> Overview, you can change the Firmware from BIOS to UEFI.  I believe
> there's a secboot firmware option, even, although I've not tested it.

Will have to look at it. I've got a 9/11 motorcycle escort to
go to, so need to head out. It's already 7:30am on 9/11
here in Guam. GMT+10 - Guam - Where America's Day
Begins.