Re: Failure in gsetting up a UEFI USB Flash with Fedora 33??

On 10 Sep 2021 at 10:43, Jonathan Billings wrote:

Date sent:      	Fri, 10 Sep 2021 10:43:15 -0400
From:           	Jonathan Billings <billings@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:             	users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:        	Re: Failure in gsetting up a UEFI USB
Flash with Fedora 33??
Send reply to:  	Community support for Fedora
users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 11:49:38PM +1000, Michael D. Setzer II via users wrote:
> > Totally missing the point of the G4L project.
> > It is to make bare metal images of disk or partitions.
> > You can't make an image if the partition is running on the
> > disk since the contents is modified with it runs. The G4l
> > loads the kernel and file system in ram so the disk is free
> > to copied or reimaged. I've even reimaged 20 machines at
> > one time using udpcast. Can restore windows and other
> > partition directly from the grub menu.
>
> I used Ghost4Linux before, although it was years ago before I ever
> touched a UEFI system.
>
> I think that if you are required to run some kernel provided by a
> project, then they need to provide a kernel that works with the
> initial ramdisk, and that includes kernel modules needed to load
> network devices and storage systems.

The G4L kernels require no kernel modules. That is one
the file system will work with any of the kernels with no
changes at all.  Just build new kernel, and copy it to the
boot directly ad change the lines in the syslinux.cfg to
match the latest kernel. Don't have to make any changes.
After doing a dnf update on the build machine, have a
simple script that automatically copies any new program
files and libraries that were updated.

> If the Ghost4Linux project doesn't have a UEFI-capable boot image,
> then building some random kernel isn't going to help you.  You need
> the kernel that is the exact same version as the kmods in the initrd
> that loads g4l.  You could probably just any UEFI-capable boot image
> and just move the kernel and initrd into there, but it still won't be
> able to be used on a Secure Boot system because the kernel isn't
> signed.

The kernels have the EFI option in the .config file, so the
kernels should be able to be loaded via the EFI process
somehow, but so far I haven't gotten it to work. Maybe I'll
eventual figure it out, or maybe not. Like I've said,
Clonzilla went with booting a distribution that supported
UEFI, and then added there stuff to that. Could do the
same, but it requires a lot more steps then simple booting
from a CD or USB...

Seen some post on Windows 11 hardware requirements,
and it might soon make only secure boot a requirement
for anyone.  Just seems there should be a way to get it to
work, but I'm retired and gives me something to play
with. I don't have any machines that require UEFI boot.
Perhaps I should setup a system with UEFI, and see if the
40_custome option works. I do know that a UEFI boot
system will fail to install memtest. Had a person with a
machine that was have weird issues. Went to run
memtest on it, but couldn't install. Was able to boot from
my g4l, which includes memtest and ran it. Found that his
new machine had a bad memory stick. Vendor then
replaced it, and problem was fixed. But without memtest,
wouldn't have know that. Interesting the PowerEdge
server I had like 20 years ago, was running NT 2000
without errors, but then added Fedora to it, and was
getting errors in image files store on it. Ran memtest, an
no errors until test 9. Had a few bits that where bad.
Turned out 1 of the 4 512M rams had issues. Again,
Vendor replaced it and problem went away.