Re: Failure in gsetting up a UEFI USB Flash with Fedora 33??

On 2021-09-10 9:49 a.m., Michael D. Setzer II via users wrote:
On 10 Sep 2021 at 8:23, Jonathan Billings wrote:

Date sent:      	Fri, 10 Sep 2021 08:23:09 -0400
From:           	Jonathan Billings <billings@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:             	users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:        	Re: Failure in gsetting up a UEFI USB
Flash with Fedora 33??
Send reply to:  	Community support for Fedora
users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 03:21:48PM +1000, Michael D. Setzer II via users wrote:
More to look at, but less hope of finding a easy/simple
solution. Just downloaded and build 3 new kernels from
kernel.org, and with the regular (non EFI) they all work
just fine.
Thanks for the info..
I build and boot upstream kernels quite often, and I do this on Fedora
systems with UEFI and Secure Boot turned off.  But I typically am just
rebuilding the rawhide kernel and adding my patches to the patch
list in the spec, building the kernel and installing the package (if
it succeeds to build).

It's so much easier to just add kernels to a working UEFI build than
try to generate a base UEFI boot structure from scratch -- and anyway,
what's the point of having a booting kernel without a known good base
OS to run under it?

Totally missing the point of the G4L project.
It is to make bare metal images of disk or partitions.
You can't make an image if the partition is running on the
disk since the contents is modified with it runs. The G4l
loads the kernel and file system in ram so the disk is free
to copied or reimaged. I've even reimaged 20 machines at
one time using udpcast. Can restore windows and other
partition directly from the grub menu.

Interesting that you can tweak the kernel the way you
want, but as you stated, you have the secure boot option
turned off, so doesn't that defeat part of what the UEFI is
suppose to do?

I could probable boot from a Fedora live cd, and install
the 23 packages that are not included that G4L uses at
various points, and it would work. But that is boot a 2G
OS instead of a 10M kernel and 30M Filesytem. 50 times
the size and it requires internet access to download the
23 packages. Additional, after I did that, I just want to see
if I could do a full update of the live cd. Ran the dnf
update, and it reported that it was short almost 400M to
be able do the update, so couldn't even run a fully
updated system. At present, on my build machine, I have
a script that copies any updates from the Fedora system
that are used by the package, and can build a complete
Image in about 12 minutes. Building new kernels from
source code takes about 10 minutes.

So, the G4L isn't trying to be a complete OS, but server
the needs of some.

At present, it shows I had 271 downloads this week from
sourceforge site, and it is on other places. There is also
Clonzilla and other packages that do similar things.

The early Norton Ghost (Actual another company made it
before Norton bought it). That actual ran from a DOS
boot. So, it is a special purpose tool..

Perhaps in the near future Secure boot will be the only
options, and you will lose your ability to tweak systems as
well.

Maybe its time to take a step back and ask what the business justification is for going this far out of the way.  It seems like you've gone pretty far down a rabbit hole.

With GB networking cheap and ubituitous, disk space at incredibly low prices and RAM at extremely reasonable prices, why are you trying to minimize the platform?  The difference is < $100/server, while the cost of you doing this extreme minimization is in the tens of thousands.  The maintenance effort for the next guy after you will be even higher.

This customization seems to make no sense.  Just install a small platform, maybe like Alpine (130MB) or DSL (50MB).  Even better, build out a PXEboot and make future maintenance much easier. Given the extreme minimization that you are attempting, make the machines diskless and put everything in a RAMdisk for a big reliability improvement and a small power and cost reduction. That seems like a much better way to do this.

--

John Mellor