Re: Fedora 30 EOL

My background is I have been used Fedora since Core 1, and prior to
that started with Redhat 5/6/7/8/9 and managed (or was technical lead
for a team) with >1000 installed running combinations of RHEL, Centos,
non-enterprise Redhat/Fedora, and/or SLES since around 1998, in
addition to running a few home systems.

The distribution maker has very little footprint in graphics
workstations and/or simply workstations on the paid end.   The
graphics workstations they do support the video drivers would be
supported directly by the graphics vendor as the cards being used on
those workstations would be the expensive cards.  A yearly redhat
support license is enough that no one is going to buy one for a $1000
machine because in 3 years that license will cost more than the HW, so
the "cheap" hardware that is being discussed like any of us would use
isn't something they will likely run into in the enterprise market.
There is a significant amount of HW used on this list that they simply
will never be supporting on the enterprise end.

The distribution also remove a signification number of rpms so only
cares about supporting maybe 1/2 or less (and that is for the rpms in
the fedora repos).

A lot of single reporter bugs are often something specific odd the
person is doing wrong, and it takes a lot of time to work through the
reports to figure out which are which.

I don't believe abrtd collects kernel panic by default, and kernel
dumps also aren't configured by default.    And for the bugs I have
submitted a core dump to the paid distribution vendor the core dump
was useful 1 out of 10 times they ask for it.  The issues it did help
with took the better part of a year and the major version we found the
issue on was EOL, but the "bug" was known to be in the next major
version so at least was fixed there,

And kernel.org will not accept a kernel bug from a non-kernel.org
kernel because too often the distributions have patched the code in
some significant way and that caused the issue.  If you want a kernel
bug fixed you are going to have to do a significant amount of work.
Even with the paid vendor you will be doing a significant amount of
work to fix almost anything even if you can document all of the
details and point to a code fix.   If you need technical help to get
them the data they are being paid to provide that, on the free size
they aren't paid for that, and it can be a significant amount of work.

And from what I can tell all of the other distributions work with the
exact same model, the major difference between the distributions seems
to be staffing level based on how many licenses they sell.

The free BZ I got response on, had all of the details including
documenting the bug and the exact code fix.