Re: Fedora 30 EOL

On Wed, 27 May 2020 15:42:39 -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:

> On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 3:23 PM Michael Schwendt wrote:
> >
> > The fundamental problem here is that it has taken a very long time for
> > somebody to respond to the bug reporter. There has been no guidance and
> > no hint whether anyone "somewhere" would be interested in looking into
> > this issue.
> >
> Exactly. And growing the contributor community is how we can solve that problem.

How?

It seems to be you haven't even taken a brief look at the ticket at all.

The bug reporter has contributed more than only dumping a kernel backtrace
into bugzilla. The willingness to provide details or to test potential
fixes has been demonstrated. And yet nobody has shown any willingness to
comment on the actual problem or to point at external place that might be
a suitable place where to discuss it and where interested kernel
developers could give some guidance on how to proceed.

There have always been components with a large number of bugzilla tickets
without a response, but Fedora has turned it into a "man versus machine"
competition. Which is unfortunate. First of all, those automated responses
come _much_ too late. After months, most users have lost patience and have
given up. And for the patient users, the second time somebody gets an
automated response that only threatens with closing a ticket _again_, it
will be a "WTF?" moment and raise motivation to look for a different OS.

Automation is not a bad thing, but there ought to be a clear message that
tells people about the expectations to get a response on the way to a
potential fix or _how_ they could contribute.