Re: Fedora 32 MTA

On 5/10/20 1:05 PM, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
On Sun, 10 May 2020 12:20:44 -0400
Jonathan Billings <billings@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On May 10, 2020, at 11:54, George N. White III <gnwiii@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Sun, 10 May 2020 at 12:00, Jonathan Billings
<billings@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On May 10, 2020, at 08:47, George N. White III <gnwiii@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Linux development today is mostly funded by big businesses and
governments. Large enterprises have tight controls over email
for security, legal, and business continuity reasons.  Those
controls could break down if MTA's are installed by default
without explicit action by administrators.    One consequence is
a move away from using email for status reports (cron, logwatch)
towards job management tools that provide resource management
and scheduling as well as logging and status reporting.

Maybe Fedora will need small business and hobbyist spins.
I think it’s more likely that email is one of the biggest vectors
of spam and malware and it’s unmaintained MTAs that end up being
used to generate a lot of bogus email. On top of that, a lot of
ISPs are blocking outbound port 25 so MTAs in a default
configuration can’t deliver mail off the host anymore anyway.
Those issues have been around for many years. The removal of MTA's
from linux distros is relatively recent, and came after
climate-gate and DNC email fiascos raised the profile of email at
high levels of enterprise management.
I suspect you might be over-politicizing this issue. The Fedora
discussion:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/NoDefaultSendmail#Detailed_Description

It’s worth noting that they reference Ubuntu’s decision from 2007. If
anything, Fedora’s decision is well past due.

Local mail delivery isn’t really a common configuration anymore, so
it makes sense to slim down the default install and leave installing
an MTA to people who are willing to properly configure the MTA to
forward messages to a proper mail drop.

LSB requires a sendmail binary, but I think in this case LSB that’s
out of date with modern usage.

--
Jonathan Billings

Local mail delivery may not be common, but it is something that
needs to be done. If not sendmail, then what?

This is what I am dealing with for CRON and working on writing a script that does the local delivery.

It would be 'nice' to have some general purpose script that does local delivery to replace /.../sendmail when no MTA is installed...

My script failed on an SELINUX policy last night for LOGWATCH.  I have applied the recommended policy and will see what happens.  I kind of thought that the daily cron that runs logwatch runs as root and so it would just create the /var/spool/mail/root (that does not yet exist), but something failed, blocking mycron...