Re: Fedora 32 MTA

On May 10, 2020, at 11:54, George N. White III <gnwiii@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, 10 May 2020 at 12:00, Jonathan Billings <billings@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On May 10, 2020, at 08:47, George N. White III <gnwiii@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Linux development today is mostly funded by big businesses and governments.
> Large enterprises have tight controls over email for security, legal, and business
> continuity reasons.  Those controls could break down if MTA's are installed by
> default without explicit action by administrators.    One consequence is a move
> away from using email for status reports (cron, logwatch) towards job management
> tools that provide resource management and scheduling as well as logging and
> status reporting.
>
> Maybe Fedora will need small business and hobbyist spins.

I think it’s more likely that email is one of the biggest vectors of spam and malware and it’s unmaintained MTAs that end up being used to generate a lot of bogus email. On top of that, a lot of ISPs are blocking outbound port 25 so MTAs in a default configuration can’t deliver mail off the host anymore anyway.

Those issues have been around for many years.  The removal of MTA's from linux distros is relatively recent, and came after climate-gate and DNC email fiascos raised the profile of email at high levels of enterprise management.

I suspect you might be over-politicizing this issue. The Fedora discussion:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/NoDefaultSendmail#Detailed_Description

It’s worth noting that they reference Ubuntu’s decision from 2007. If anything, Fedora’s decision is well past due.

Local mail delivery isn’t really a common configuration anymore, so it makes sense to slim down the default install and leave installing an MTA to people who are willing to properly configure the MTA to forward messages to a proper mail drop.

LSB requires a sendmail binary, but I think in this case LSB that’s out of date with modern usage.

--
Jonathan Billings