Re: quick (I hope) e-mail security question. [SOLVED]

Thank-you, Tim, for the follow-up.

> > 'If that line says the "from" is reasonable,
> > look at the lines up to and inclucing the
> > next Received: line and loop, otherwise
> > stop, it's spam.'

> I think he means:
> 1. Look at the lines up to and including the next received line.
> 2. Repeat the process, upwards.
> 3. Otherwise, stop looking any further, it's spam.

Parse Error! My mind incorrectly parsed what Tony said. I took "line and loop" as two parallel verbs connected by the conjunction "and". Now I see that "line" is a noun qualified by the adjective "Received:".

I believe I successfully followed the rest of what you said, but I don't quite get what to look for as flags that a message is likely a spoof. I've known for some time that
- messages from most countries other than my home country,
- messages claiming I'm in legal trouble, tax trouble, etc.,
- messages asking for crypto-currency, gift cards, and other hard or impossible to trace payment, and
- threatening messages
are almost certainly malicious and should not be responded to or forwarded, should not have links in them clicked or attachments to them downloaded, perhaps should be reported to appropriate authorities, and certainly should deleted. Those are not the messages that trouble me most. It's other kinds of messages. The message that I started this thread because of came from someone I've known for decades, but the "From" was an address I had not seen before. But recent events have the sender (and two other people) in a vulnerable position. I had to be careful.

I've heard that if a malicious person/group
- can access someone's address book
AND
- has the tools to do spoofing,
then he/they can spoof the e-mail addresses of everyone in the address book *without* knowing the password of anyone in that address book. I think this happened to me a few years ago. I lost friends as a result of this event. Changing passwords made no difference. I had to delete all my e-mail accounts, create new ones, and do a lot of contact information changing. 2-3 years after that, a friend got a message (an e-card) from the old, dead-for-over-2-years e-mail address and clicked the e-card link, which infected his system. I was able to verify that the old e-mail address really was still dead.

I realize there is no perfect solution or 100% safety. But for the benefit of others as well as myself, I'm following up on this. When I do as Tony and Tim suggest, what am I looking for that would be a red flag the the message is (probably) bad, or would be a green flag that the message is (probably) genuine and safe?

thanks,
Bill.