Re: F28 - Today's updates messed up writing to USB

On Sat, 2018-06-02 at 21:40 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> >> Where did Sam say anything about tracer?
> > He didn't. I merely state that it it's useful to know when a reboot is
> > necessary and when it isn't, which is the difference between online and
> > offline updates.
>
> I see.  Then I'm confused as to your question.   What are you asking about
> reliability or what do you think Sam is suggesting is unreliable?

Sam seems to suggest that rebooting is the only way to be sure of
avoiding problems. I'm wondering if he's discounting the use of tracer
as a way to do this more selectively, and if so is it because he thinks
tracer is unreliable?

> >> FWIW, I don't use the tracer dnf plugin since I use the nVidia drivers from rpmfusion
> >> and akmods.  It may have been improved.  But when I was using it and a kernel update
> >> happened the tracer process would keep the rpmdb locked so when the nVidia mods were
> >> compiled they failed to install.
> > I haven't had problems but I don't use the Nvidia drivers now. Back
> > when I did use them I also had locking issues, though I never
> > associated them with tracer specifically.
> >

> I took the time and effort to prove, at least to myself, that the asynchronous or
> independent nature of the akmod process and the tracer-plugin could cause problems.
> It was very variable since it depended on the number and nature of the updates.

There was certainly a race condition related to locking the RPM
database, so it's possible that tracer was causing this, though I don't
know if anyone ever tracked it down. One wonders why it only seemed to
affect akmod packages, but perhaps it's to do with the complicated
scripts they run.

poc