Re: network-online.target appears to be very much broken

Allegedly, on or about 7 November 2017, Sam Varshavchik sent:
> You are proposing to modify each upstream package to inject custom
> code that will wait for all IP addresses to be configured, before
> proceeding?
>
> And you think this is easier, and more maintanable, then simply
> fixing the broken systemd configuration just once, and not have to
> figure out whether or not each individual package requires this
> dependency, and be responsible for patching it, in perpetuity?

I'll take that in two chunks:

1. Are external packages imported verbatim?  Does Fedora not customise
packages for itself?  Do other distros customise packages?

2. And I'll use NTP as an example, and I'll talk about an old version
because I've not tried this out recently:

Back when I was on dial-up, I'd have to restart NTP after dialling my
ISP, because it never noticed a WAN connection coming alive.  When NTP
started (before I was online), it tried to use internet servers to sync
itself, of course it failed, and *never* attempted it again.  It didn't
watch out for a WAN interface activating, it didn't periodically retry
the internet servers it was going to use before, it just aborted and
failed.

To my mind, that was lousy programming, and broken by design.  Its
behaviour *needed* changing.  Modifying the distro's version would have
been a good starting point.  Having that modification upstreamed would
have been even better.

Having the failing program actually look for the right thing (is the
interface it needs to use available, can it simply keep retrying the
servers it was going to use, etc.), was going to be the far better
solution, than leaving it in it's (then) currently badly programmed
condition, and bodging up some other network-alive status flag to mean
something different than it says it means.

It should be simple (as you seemed to be arguing beforehand).  There
should be some flag that says there's an active network path to the
real world, and networking software that needs that information should
look for *that* flag.

I remember a similar argument to this, a long time ago.  Various
services were looking at the wrong flag (a network has started), rather
than the appropriate one (a network is working).  And it was stated
that such packages ought to be modified to look in the right place.

That's exactly the kind of thing I would advocate.  Rather than wedge
another detection routine in front of the wrong status flag that
everything is looking at, and allowing them to keep looking at the
wrong status flag.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.13.9-200.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Oct 23 13:52:45 UTC 2017 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

Ha ha ha ha...
(I couldn't think of a good joke, so I supplied a laugh track, instead.)