Re: network-online.target appears to be very much broken

Samuel Sieb writes:

What would that even mean? That service has no meaning by itself. Of course, NetworkManager will start the network interfaces even without it. The whole purpose of that service is to delay any other services that require the network to be started before running.

See the output of:
systemctl --before list-dependencies systemd-networkd-wait-online.service

However, the one you really should use for ensuring a service has network available is network-online.target. That one covers more than just NetworkManager.

Except that's precisely what privoxy's service file does, yet I still ended up with a broken boot because not just privoxy but also at least one other service got started before all IP addresses were set up. Which was the initial message that started this thread.

Then someone else claimed that the real target that should be used for this is this NetworkManager's target.

That, you're claiming it's network-online.target. Others are claiming that systemd-networkd-wait-online.service is the correct target, to ensure that all IP addresses are configured.

It really doesn't matter which target it really is. I simply want a reliable boot. I don't think that's too much to ask. Unfortunately, with systemd, nobody really knows how it works, apparently. I don't particularly care about flaming systemd, but with utter crap like this I see very few other options. It doesn't really matter what's the right answer here. Just because nobody really knows how it's supposed to work, or which targets should be enabled by default, is precisely why it's flaming garbage. And this state of affairs is rather sad.