Re: network-online.target appears to be very much broken

Gordon Messmer writes:

On 11/05/2017 05:36 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Unfortunately, with systemd, nobody really knows how it works, apparently.

There do appear to be a few people here who don't understand how it works, but that's hardly systemd's fault.  This specific subject is documented thoroughly:

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/NetworkTarget/

The short answer is, on a default current Fedora system, you simply need to run:

systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service

Now, as I see it, this boils down to a one word, simple question:

Why?

Do we really expect that one should actually do that?

Using privoxy as an illustrative example: is it really so unreasonable to expect that installing a package called "privoxy", and if this "privoxy" package requires all IP addresses to be up, before it runs, then installing this package makes sure that this actually happens, that it starts up after all network interfaces are up? Is that really too much to expect for this to happen, without having to run Google searches? Why does anyone need find some web site, in order to figure out what arcane command one needs to run, in order to make the package work? Isn't that what installing the package, in the first place, is supposed to accomplish?

After all, isn't it what having a package is all about, in the first place? If, after installing a package, one needs to find some web site which tells you what commands need to be executed in order to actually make it work properly, then I see no point to having installable packages in the first place. One might as well compile from source, and install it manually, and then accept the responsibility to figure out everything else that needs to be done in order to have the package start and run correctly, on the system.

I always though that the whole purpose of having an installable package is that once you install it, it's correctly configured, and is ready to run. Perhaps, at the most, after one additional, enabling/activation step. Perhaps I was wrong. Maybe I shouldn't expect that some feature release of, say, Libreoffice will always run after I install it. Maybe I should be prepared that it will install but not run at all, and instead dump a cryptic message to syslog, until I hit the correct Google search, and figure out what command I need to run, manually, before Libreoffice will start up.