Re: [...] D-Link DWA-192 - Realtek RTL8814AU WiFi USB 3.0

On 02/01/2017 01:07 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:

>>> I've isolated one problem I have with this. Device wlp4s6 is still there
>>> and it is an old pci wireless device that I thought was dead. It looks
>>> like it wasn't and all the time that I thought I was using the DWA192 I
>>> was actually using the pci device, so I need to provide an apology to
>>> everyone who provided help on this, I was working under a false
>>> impression.
>>>
>>> But having compiled the 8814au driver that I downloaded from the web
>>> site you provided it seems to be using working now on the 5GHz channel,
>>> but the device has a blue light around the middle of it that the driver
>>> seems to be flashing all the time. When the device is active the light
>>> should be permanently on and goes out when connection to the net is
>>> lost. I could switch the light off but that defeats the purpose of what
>>> it is for. Under windows that process works correctly.
>>>
>>> In network manager the device it is talking to shows this: wlp3s0u2
>>> (0E:13:3D:F9:D2:A4). I thought the information within the brackets was
>>> the mac address of the device, but if I am correct it has determined the
>>> mac address incorrectly.
>> Yes, that should be the MAC address of the device. The newer kernels
>> number the network devices in the order they're discovered on the bus
>> and name them according to their position in the bus (e.g. "p4s0"
>> meaning PCI device 4, subdevice 0). Typically hardwired stuff starts
>> off with "en", wireless with "wl". Toss in USB and I'm not sure what
>> they'd be.
>>
>> In your case, the PCI device is probably found first and would be, by
>> default, the one NM tries to use. Your USB dongle would probably be
>> discovered last and you'll need to tell NM to use it in place of the
>> PCI card.
>>
>> Again, "ip link show" will show you the various network devices you
>> have, along with their names and in the "link/ether" line for each
>> device, the MAC address of the device. You can then use "ethtool -i
>> <devicename>" to see which driver that device is using. Make note of
>> the MAC address of your new device and make sure it's using the driver
>> you expect it to use.
>>
>> If you really want to start from scratch, then in NM, I would delete
>> any existing configurations you have, then click "Add", then select
>> "Wi-Fi" in the "Connection Type" window. In the "Wi-Fi" tab, fill in
>> the SSID of your wireless network, select "Client" (or "Managed") in
>> the "Mode" field, then use the drop-down in "Device" and select the MAC
>> of the new device.
>>
>> Click the "Wi-Fi Security" tab, fill in the appropriate data. Finally,
>> click the "General" tab and tick the "Automatically connect to this
>> network when it is available" option, then click "Save". Hopefully,
>> it'll come right up with a DHCP address. If not, right-click on the NM
>> applet, disable networking, then re-enable it.
> Yesterday, after sending this message, I changed the contents within the
> [...]

If I recall correctly, "wlp3s0u2" would mean wireless (wl), PCI bus 3
(p3), subdevice zero (s0), unit 2 (u2). Numbering/naming on USB buses
is more of a guess, but I'd assume the USB controller shows up in PCI
bus 3 and the third device on the first hub run by that controller is
the device.

Your PCI-based device is wired network (en), PCI bus 7 (p7), subdevice
0 (s0).