Re: [...] D-Link DWA-192 - Realtek RTL8814AU WiFi USB 3.0

On 1/2/17 8:27 am, Rick Stevens wrote:
On 01/31/2017 01:47 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
$ rfkill unblock wifi
OR
$ nmcli radio wifi on
IF
$ systemctl is-active NetworkManager
active
AND
subsequently
$ nmcli device wifi list
to show the APs within the range.

$ rpm -qi NetworkManager-wifi | grep Summary
Summary     : Wifi plugin for NetworkManager

It is installed, right?

One question I have, in the 8814 instructions above you mentioned:

// Adds missing Vendor/Product ID
$ sed -i '/0xA834/ a\\t{USB_DEVICE(0x7392, 0xA833), .driver_info =
RTL8814A}, /* Edimax - Edimax */' os_dep/linux/usb_intf.c

Should the values inside the USB_DEVICE brackets be the idVendor and
idProduct numbers mentioned in the dmesg output above?

It is not for for D-Link DWA-192 - VID/PID 2001:331a is already there
https://github.com/diederikdehaas/rtl8814AU/blob/driver-4.3.21/os_dep/linux/usb_intf.c#L208

I've isolated one problem I have with this. Device wlp4s6 is still there
and it is an old pci wireless device that I thought was dead. It looks
like it wasn't and all the time that I thought I was using the DWA192 I
was actually using the pci device, so I need to provide an apology to
everyone who provided help on this, I was working under a false impression.

But having compiled the 8814au driver that I downloaded from the web
site you provided it seems to be using working now on the 5GHz channel,
but the device has a blue light around the middle of it that the driver
seems to be flashing all the time. When the device is active the light
should be permanently on and goes out when connection to the net is
lost. I could switch the light off but that defeats the purpose of what
it is for. Under windows that process works correctly.

In network manager the device it is talking to shows this: wlp3s0u2
(0E:13:3D:F9:D2:A4). I thought the information within the brackets was
the mac address of the device, but if I am correct it has determined the
mac address incorrectly.
Yes, that should be the MAC address of the device. The newer kernels
number the network devices in the order they're discovered on the bus
and name them according to their position in the bus (e.g. "p4s0"
meaning PCI device 4, subdevice 0). Typically hardwired stuff starts
off with "en", wireless with "wl". Toss in USB and I'm not sure what
they'd be.

In your case, the PCI device is probably found first and would be, by
default, the one NM tries to use. Your USB dongle would probably be
discovered last and you'll need to tell NM to use it in place of the
PCI card.

Again, "ip link show" will show you the various network devices you
have, along with their names and in the "link/ether" line for each
device, the MAC address of the device. You can then use "ethtool -i
<devicename>" to see which driver that device is using. Make note of
the MAC address of your new device and make sure it's using the driver
you expect it to use.

If you really want to start from scratch, then in NM, I would delete
any existing configurations you have, then click "Add", then select
"Wi-Fi" in the "Connection Type" window. In the "Wi-Fi" tab, fill in
the SSID of your wireless network, select "Client" (or "Managed") in
the "Mode" field, then use the drop-down in "Device" and select the MAC
of the new device.

Click the "Wi-Fi Security" tab, fill in the appropriate data. Finally,
click the "General" tab and tick the "Automatically connect to this
network when it is available" option, then click "Save". Hopefully,
it'll come right up with a DHCP address. If not, right-click on the NM
applet, disable networking, then re-enable it.
Yesterday, after sending this message, I changed the contents within the brackets to the correct mac address, because as well as the entry in the list for the old pci card there was an entry with no device but had the correct the correct mac address within brackets. This morning I tried to compile a beta driver that from the website I got the impression was designed to support the rtl8812au, rtl8814au and rtl8821au chipsets but when compiled it produced and 8812.ko kernel module which when activated Fedora would not use for the device as the device could not be activated by networkmanager. Consequently I have just gone back to the rtl8814au driver and activated that which has then immediately enable the device. When I look at networkmanager at the existing definitions I was looking at yesterday that had the 3 devices in the 'Restrict to Device' list, that drop down list now only has one entry which is the entry for the usb device with the correct mac address (wlp3s0u2 (6C:72:20:00:AC:C4)). I'm not sure what the u2 in the device name means, but I have 9 usb ports which are a mixture of usb 2 and usb 3 ports for 8 of the ports, and a 9th port that is self booting to allow updating of the motherboard bios from a usb stick.
My ethernet device has device name enp7s0.

regards,
Steve

- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital    ricks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-  You know the old saying--any technology sufficiently advanced is  -
-               indistinguishable from a Perl script                 -
-                                 --Programming Perl, 2nd Edition    -