graphical startup hangs on plymouth

This is a problem that my wife's laptop has had for quite some time. That system is updated relatively frequently. The problem has just started happening on my server, which is fairly far out of date now, so it couldn't have been a recent update causing this, and the server itself has had no package updates for a long time. Both systems are still running F24 (haven't had time to upgrade them yet, but F24 is still supported).

What happens basically is this:

Dec 27 09:01:16 worldsys.gregandeva.net systemd[1]: Starting Wait for Plymouth Boot Screen to Quit...

This message appears on the console and the timer counter starts. The counter never stops, it keeps incrementing apparently forever (it had gone beyond "1w" the last time I checked).  This job never finishes, and the login consoles never come up (either graphical or ALT-F? text TTY's). All the other daemons on the system start and run just fine, and I can log into the system via ssh and everything other than the consoles appears to be working fine.

In both cases, if I change /etc/default/grub to add "3" to the kernel command line and run grub2-mkconfig  (thus using text mode instead of graphical mode at boot time), then the TTY consoles come up fine, and I can log in and run "startx" and the graphical desktop comes up just fine, so that lets out most things I can think of such as a bad graphics chip or X configuration issue. So this is really just a minor annoyance, because I have to log in and type "startx" instead of just logging in from the graphical login screen, but I am curious as to whether anyone else has ever seen this and where I might look to find information to troubleshoot it. I can see nothing in Xorg.log or journalctl output that looked related, other than the messages from the plymouth-quit-wait service. When the runlevel is 3, the service does exit successfully:

-- The start-up result is done.

Needless to say, when booting straight to graphics mode, this message doesn't appear in the journal.

Thanks,
--Greg