Re: graphical startup hangs on plymouth

On 01/06/17 04:31, Greg Woods wrote:
> This is a problem that my wife's laptop has had for quite some time. That system is
> updated relatively frequently. The problem has just started happening on my server,
> which is fairly far out of date now, so it couldn't have been a recent update causing
> this, and the server itself has had no package updates for a long time. Both systems are
> still running F24 (haven't had time to upgrade them yet, but F24 is still supported).
>
> What happens basically is this:
>
> Dec 27 09:01:16 worldsys.gregandeva.net <http://worldsys.gregandeva.net> systemd[1]:
> Starting Wait for Plymouth Boot Screen to Quit...
>
> This message appears on the console and the timer counter starts. The counter never
> stops, it keeps incrementing apparently forever (it had gone beyond "1w" the last time I
> checked).  This job never finishes, and the login consoles never come up (either
> graphical or ALT-F? text TTY's). All the other daemons on the system start and run just
> fine, and I can log into the system via ssh and everything other than the consoles
> appears to be working fine.
>
> In both cases, if I change /etc/default/grub to add "3" to the kernel command line and
> run grub2-mkconfig  (thus using text mode instead of graphical mode at boot time), then
> the TTY consoles come up fine, and I can log in and run "startx" and the graphical
> desktop comes up just fine, so that lets out most things I can think of such as a bad
> graphics chip or X configuration issue. So this is really just a minor annoyance,
> because I have to log in and type "startx" instead of just logging in from the graphical
> login screen, but I am curious as to whether anyone else has ever seen this and where I
> might look to find information to troubleshoot it. I can see nothing in Xorg.log or
> journalctl output that looked related, other than the messages from the
> plymouth-quit-wait service. When the runlevel is 3, the service does exit successfully:
>
> -- The start-up result is done.
>
> Needless to say, when booting straight to graphics mode, this message doesn't appear in
> the journal.

I would check some links to start with....

[egreshko@meimei system]$ pwd
/etc/systemd/system
[egreshko@meimei system]$ ll default.target
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 36 Mar  5  2015 default.target -> /lib/systemd/system/graphical.target
[egreshko@meimei system]$ ll display-manager.service
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 36 Jan  9  2016 display-manager.service ->
/usr/lib/systemd/system/sddm.service

In my case I use sddm as display manager since mostly I use KDE as my desktop.  Yours will
probably be pointing to a different one.

--
You're Welcome Zachary Quinto