Re: liveusb-creator

On 09/27/2016 09:32 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> This is an annoying thread.
>
> Ranjan, jd1008, Jon LaBadie - consider yourselves lucky the OP did not
> experience data loss as a result of obviously bad advice. Even my
> house plant recognized what treacherously bad advice it contained.
>
> The OP very clearly, without any ambiguity, expressed reluctance to
> use the CLI. And even after demonstrating dangerous lack of
> understanding with the dd command, you guys kept on pushing him
> forward. Seriously, it makes you three jerks. You're the guys who take
> the bunny slope skier on a blue/black run, and then when they get
> stuck or hurt you blame them for it. What is wrong with you? All three
> of you were also condescending, the bad advice wasn't enough
> apparently.
>
> I think Lawrence's thanks is pure charity. Next time someone clearly
> expresses such aversion, maybe consider having no advice at all? For
> all you know he could have rebooted at any point, and /dev/sda would
> have been enumerated as some other drive, and your advice would have
> resulted in data loss. All of your advice was unqualified.
>
> Honestly, hindsight being 20/20 you three really should realize how
> you just dodged a bullet, and so did Lawrence.
>

> Chris Murphy

I had stopped following this thread, but came across this accidentally. Btw, here is what my original post (after the OP expressed reluctance) said:

"Hi,

Unless I have misunderstood what you are trying to do, the steps are exactly what I have
written down. The only two things you have to fill out in the commandline are the if= and
the of= arguments. If you need help with that, please post back and we shall see if we can
help.

Best wishes,
Ranjan"

The OP never responded back.

Here is the original commandline steps mentioned in this e-mail:

********begin cut-and-paste

# in order to make a bootable cd, etc, on the commandline:

sudo dd if=path-to-iso.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

# In the above, if (input file) has path-to-iso.iso is the location of your iso. For
example: /tmp/Fedora.iso

# Note: only the letter-drive is to be included in the of (output file) i.e. /dev/sdb not
inclusive of the numeral /dev/sdb1.

********end cut-and-paste

Perhaps you were just jumping in, but as far as I am concerned, I have been much helped on this forum since the days of Fedora Core 1, so I was only trying to help and offer encouragement for someone who was newer to Linux. This is how I learnt stuff in the first place.

I am sorry my post was interpreted otherwise.

And I missed his thanks, but I am grateful for that.

Best wishes,
Ranjan