Re: why do we use systemd?

lee writes:

David Benfell <benfell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Why should it be seen separately?  Poorly chosen terms is a feature of
systemd like any other it may have, and this feature leads straightaway
to unexpected and undesired results when used.  That the authors even
deny fixing it is ... well, I'm not sure how to call that.

I guess the two questions I'm reaching for are:

1) Is systemd conceptually broken, just a really bad idea from the start? Some people say yes, and some of them argue well.

2) Or, is it just that systemd is buried underneath an avalanche of horrendous documentation and poorly chosen terminology?

To these, I might add a third:

3) Is systemd simply too large a leap to be wise? Clearly, many folks in the distributions are enamored with it; they're all adopting it. As is apparent here, some users like it as well (and if we succumb to a false dichotomy, well, I'm not all that wild about sysvinit scripts either). And a certain amount of the rebuttal to opponents seems to be of the sort that we should just take the time to learn it.

I guess the concept of 'mask' is as in to disguise, as in to hide. For
me, that's two steps of abstraction and I don't normally infer the
second from the first. So it throws me too.

When something is disguised or hidden, it is not disabled.  It is
camouflaged or concealed.  Camouflage, concealment, hiding, disguise and
masking can all be used for *preventing* from being disabled.

Fair enough.

--
David Benfell
See https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 if you do not understand the attachment.