Re: Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, "Why?")

On Mar 24, 2014, at 8:47 AM, Liam Proven <lproven@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 23 March 2014 20:19, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> How/why? It's not a bug.
>>
>> How do you know? You haven't filed a bug report, you haven't presented any logs to anyone to find out if what you're experiencing is in fact intended behavior. You haven't even stated the nature of the installation failure.
>
> I have to say that you are one of the most hostile, confrontational
> and aggressive people that I've come across in a support community
> since Richard Morrell of Smoothwall, about 12 years back, who
> alienated so many users that a bunch of them got together and forked
> it into IPCop... in large part so that they could have support
> communities without that man in them, telling them that they were
> stupid and wrong and should just go away if they didn't like it.

I'm the most hostile, confrontational, aggressive person you've come across in a support community in 12 years? Just like you haven't successfully installed Fedora to actual hardware in 10? Were you abducted by aliens for ~9 years by any chance?

> Do you realise this?
>
> Are you doing it deliberately?

Yes, I realize I'm more hostile than someone I've never heard of, and I'm doing it deliberately, sure.

>> It will not. Because this is the user to user forum. To cause a design change in the installer means posting to the Red Hat anaconda-devel@ list. To cause a design change specific to Fedora means posting to the Fedora devel@ list. Bugs, requests for enhancement, and even perceived clearly articulated design flaws should have bug reports filed. Pretty much always when an installer bug is filed, the installer logs should be attached (at least program.log and storage.log).
>
> Well, OK. I am not a developer of or contributor to the product and
> since I can't even install it on my PC I am not very likely to become
> one, so I will just have to let it be for now, then.

You have put in more effort writing massively long emails over the past few days than it would take to find out the problem if you were so resistant to finding out the problem.

>> You're seriously acting like this is your first day at the rodeo. You are supposed to state what did happen,
>

> What, like I did on the 5th of March in the threat entitled "Can't
> install ƒ20", when I said:

Fair enough. I just looked up that thread, and I see it rather quickly devolved into people bashing the installer rather than helping you solve the problem. So I'll argue they failed to be helpful other than to commiserate.

I will respond further in that thread rather than clutter this one up further.

>> including any error messages received
>
> Tricky when the system hangs.

I don't know what that means exactly. You said the installer crashed with python errors. It's still possible to extract information from the system, short of a kernel panic which wouldn't be an installer problem.

>> and how this differs from your expectation of what should have happened.
>
> What I expect? Well, in a nutshell, I expect to be able to say:
>
> "Here, >this< is your root, >this< is /home, swap is >there<, put your
> bootloader in the root FS, now go."
>
> Failing that, to be able to delete an existing root partition, make a
> new one, say ">that< is your root, go".
>
> Is that so unreasonable?

Well it's really confusing because it's not a step by step in a way that I can reproduce. It's vague enough to match what I've done numerous times and has worked so there's some pre-existing configuration or step that you're doing that I'm not, and that's why it's not working for you and has for me. So you still need to provide more detail or logs or probably both.

The bootloader part isn't going to happen because since Fedora 18, embedding GRUB to a partition isn't supported. And it isn't supported because upstream GRUB folks don't recommend it, although this can be done to some degree post-install with the grub-install command and --force flag.

>> The installer always keeps logs in /tmp
>
> As I said, it locked up.

Even if installer is hung, the bug reporter almost never is. If the bugreporter is, the kernel isn't and you can get to a shell to recover the logs. Did you try that? If you can't get to a shell, then this isn't only an installer problem.

>> - so go try a Fedora baremetal install and when it "won't install" and you're stuck, post the /tmp/anaconda.log, /tmp/program.log, and /tmp/storage.log.
>

> I will have to look up what a "Fedora baremetal install" is. AFAICR I
> saw no such option in the boot/install image.

baremetal = to actual hardware, not a virtual machine

Chris Murphy