Re: Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, “Why?”)

On Mar 21, 2014, at 12:10 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 13:13:28 -0400
> Matthew Miller wrote:
>
>> Saying something "sucks" isn't very helpful. Not only is it needlessly
>> negative, it is intangible. Name a real problem and we can talk about it.
>
> Every single aspect of it is a real problem. In the dictionary they
> have a picture of it next to the word "disaster". The whole random
> wheel/spoke thing is an invitation to forget to do something
> important. And who the hell would think that "network" would be
> the spoke where you set the system name?

Where else would you put it? It has nothing to do with date/time or destination or source. I associate it with network because hostname->Avahi-->network.

> Why is the screen full of
> blank space and cryptic meaningless icons when it could use
> some of that space for valuable hints in actual text you can read?

Right the problem is that it's not wordy enough (lovely to see much wordiness going away in Rawhide at this point). More tool tips might be nice.

>> On the specific you do give, I'm pretty confident in saying that you're
>> actually wrong.
>
> And therein lies the problem. Everyone who worked on partitioning has been congratulating
> each other for so long you can't see any problems.

? It's only been ~15 months since it was publicly released, that's long?

> The partitioning is actually
> absolutely impossible to use:

Ahh, so when hyperbole simply isn't going far enough we actually have to descend into the obviously ridiculous, as in, worthy of ridicule. My house plant can do a Fedora install with this installer. That you keep failing to get any kind of successful installation is a bit amusing. Maybe you need more water?

> If there are multiple disks, it provides you only the size, model, and
> serial number to distinguish them, as though everyone has that memorized.
> Your only actually choice is to pick them all and hope you can see
> a clue later.

Yeah this is a weak area, but I'm not sure if there are bugs filed so feel free to check and file one and report back.

The UI probably ought to show volume names first, partition names second. I think it's a separate UI floating panel to show a subset of lsblk + blkid. It's fairly sloppy to not use volume or partition labels these days though, so you pretty much get what you're asking for if you're not using them already. Fortunately, anaconda does apply a volume label during install these days. Other distros don't leverage it.

Although not user friendly for a GUI, you could switch to a shell and do lsblk and blkid and figure things out without having to choose all disks.

> After picking which disks to partition, you are presented with a single
> choice: You can press the Done button even though you are not anywhere
> close to done, or you can say "Screw this" and install a different distro.

Haha. That's like going to the grocery store, getting 1/2 the stuff you need, finally becoming exasperated at that point, saying "screw this" and going fishing instead. That's a hilarious reaction.

Don't even bother with a "hey I'm confused" or a "hey wtfsauce" on any user list or forum. Just go straight to abandoning the path. "I felt like a nice cup of Earl Grey and scones today, but I have to wait in line, so SCREW THIS, I'm going to move out of my apartment instead."

Wow ok…

Hey, your right eye is REALLY twitching a lot, you might need to lay off the coffee after, say, 8am.

> Should you work up the courage to press the Done button, you then
> reach the next layer of total obfuscation.

Right. The hub! It's a completely different layer you've never seen before, if you have amnesia. Oh let's just go ahead and add that to the list of anaconda gripes….

c a u s e s  a m n e s i a

> It names the partitions by what operating systems are installed on them.

You are confused. First, MBR partition scheme doesn't support partition names. Second, GPT does, but the only partition I've seen named in a Fedora install is "EFI System Partition", the others are unnamed. I'm not sure what utility actually names it.

What you are thinking of are the volume labels, and you can change them in the UI, it's just a default.

> Who the hell thinks that way? And where do I look for partitions that
> don't have any operating system on them.

Right who the hell thinks about a default volume label after the name/version of the distribution? That's just crazy! I don't know, let's try one even better like name them the biggest video file on the system… that's not going to cause ANY trouble at all. *wink* *wink*

AlcoholCommercial

Hahaha, that's funny at least. Not helpful in ID'ing the drive, at all. But funny!

> Why not name them by the
> biggest video file that lives on the partition or some other
> random choice?

Hmm that's quite an obscure game. Let's try that with cities based on building sizes:

Republic Plaza
Columbia Center
Toranomon Hills
Company Business Towers Torre A
Post Tower

I almost feel like continuing. I'm learning things I didn't know, things I'll never remember. I will bet you can't even name the continents those are on, let alone the cities.

I've heard a lot of bad ideas today, but this is definitely, DEFINITELY #2.  Just kidding, it's #1.

> The adjectives "intuitive" or "useful" cannot be applied to any
> part of this interface. It is absolute and total junk.

I know exactly what you mean by this, I had one hell of a time figuring out what the ballz the Time & Date spoke was all about. I nearly gave myself an aneurism trying to figure it out.

> Our only hope is for redhat to use this in the next RHEL and
> then we can probably get changes as wave after wave of enterprise
> users descend on redhat HQ with pitchforks and torches.

Right because most RHEL installs aren't kickstart installs, they're GUI installs. And enterprise customers have so much spare time on their hands after paying for RHEL service/support that the thing they use the least is the casus belli to go out to the woodshed for pitchforks and torches. Riiiight.

Right now, I'm looking at a bag full of nuts. (I'm not kidding it's a LITERAL bag full of nuts.) Where is poma? I'm certain he'll have a better response than this. Oh wait he's already done it!! BRILLIANT! He didn't respond! Pure genius!

Chris Murphy