Re: Custom Partition Fedora 18

On 02/17/2013 03:50 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

Fedora offers 9 versions http://spins.fedoraproject.org/ in addition to the mainline release, including KDE,
XFCE, and LXDE.  That's in addition to the availability of MATE and Cinnamon in the mainline release.
these are not really 9 versions

a spin more or less a different set of default packages with
a different defaut desktop and contains NOTHING you could
not install with the DVD-ISO

that said: if there is a probelem with a fedora release
because basic components are switched in a to soon level
of development this would affect ANY spin

example: systemd, it was broken in F15 and affected all
spins, broken in the way most services not converted and
supressing most warnings/errors of services to maek it
impossible debug them in a sane way

Quite true and not really any different than Ubuntu, where you can download one image and use it to install that distribution in any of its various forms. The basic point is that the existence of these variations, and the people who use them that we choose to call "communities" don't really gauge, in any meaningful way, the popularity or acceptance of one desktop environment or the other. They do point to the existence of small groups of people who have the desire and time to produce these variations. But, they don't have any better way of determining how many people use and like their products that anyone else does.

It's my understanding that Fedora's primary role is to evaluate and explore software for Red Hat, not necessarily to produce a stable consumer-level product. That's very much Ubuntu's mission, but it isn't Fedora's. I expect Ubuntu not to break. I expect Fedora to break. Oddly, in my own experience, they both break about the same amount.