Re: Power-off stupidity remains in Fedora 17

Olav Vitters writes:

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 08:27:22AM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Olav Vitters writes:
>
> >You're very demanding and call people "royal highnesses". Sure seems
> >like you seem obliged that people do what you think is right (other
> >idea? wrong!) on a timeframe that you think is correct.
> >
> >Anyway, there I go again, being a royal highness :P
>
> Well, you've pretty much ignored everything else I wrote. Including,
> specifically, the reason why the shoe fits, here. Really, can't see
> a better way to prove my point.

Of course I am here to fix your every problem. And of course I am not
doing the adult thing.

Just kidding. Yes, GNOME shell using 40% CPU and so on is not nice and

This was only mentioned briefly in the last paragraph of my message, most of which was about the monitor DPI resolution breakage.

should be fixed. However, your argumentation is weak. There are loads of
ideas and loads of bugs that haven't been fixed. Turning that into proof
that GNOME/developers/etc must be "XXX"... cannot take such
argumentation seriously...

Saying things like "adult thing to do"... blergh.

That was not said about the gnome-shell eating 40% CPU, by the way.

But, I'm afraid I simply don't know how else to describe it, when it's now two years and counting, since a setting was needed in custom.conf that gdm itself doesn't really need to do anything with, except to pass it along as an additional option to Xorg. What even makes it more depressing, IIRC, the setting was there in the first place, for many years, before it was thrown away to prevent all the stupid and dumb users from doing The Wrong Thing, since gdm now knows better than them:

root 1535 1517 0 Jun09 ? 00:00:00 /usr/libexec/gdm-simple- slave --display-id /org/gnome/DisplayManager/Display1 root 1541 1535 1 Jun09 tty1 02:17:35 /usr/bin/Xorg :0 -background none -logverbose 7 -auth /var/run/gdm/auth-for-gdm-weJJt3/database -seat seat0 -nolisten tcp vt1

If that's the options that Xorg needs to get started with, by gdm, then they just have to be right, don't you know? If someone needs to have -dpi 140 added to them, and the user is willing to manually edit a conf file, and put it there – well then, the user must be WRONG, no doubt about it, and gdm must prevent the user from making a horrible mistake like that, until this can be fixed the proper way, perhaps in another three years.

At least that was my interpretation of the few sentences worth of a reply from Gnome, on this issue.

Understood. It took me a while, but I was finally enlightened. I finally figured out why it's not really a bug – it's because NoSquint can be easily installed in Firefox. Looks like most folks affected by this have figured out the workaround for Firefox, given the stats on mozilla.org; and all other apps that need to run under Gnome can simply implement the same workaround, by themselves. Having every appp implement a version of NoSquint makes so much more sense than gdm passing through the right option to Xorg!