Re: Power-off stupidity remains in Fedora 17

Olav Vitters writes:

Venting makes it difficult to understand the issue. State your problem
calmly, otherwise most @ GNOME will quickly ignore either you, or the
whole mailing list.

Too late.

The aforementioned "most @ GNOME" have already been ignoring feedback for a long time. There are unfixed bugs in Gnome that have existed for years. And I'm not talking about some isolated edge cases; but basic, fundamental breakage. For example: getting the monitor DPI's wrong.

Now, it's understandable that if – given the large universe of hardware – sometimes you can't get things right, automatically. That's perfectly understandable. No cause to complain about that. But the responsible, and adult thing to do in this situation is to provide an easy, simple way to override the setting, manually. All that needs to happen is a simple gdm parameter that it passes through to x.org, and I will be shocked if anyone manages to come up with a logical, understandable reason why this would be a bad idea.

Unfortunately, the royal highnesses that even bothered to reply to that years-old bug have waived it off, with vague, occasional promises of doing something, in some virtually-correct way, at some unspecified future point in time, when everything will get a grandiose rewriting. In the meantime, it's more important to make sure that all the rounded corners are pixel- perfect – then to fix basic functionality like this.

Were this an isolated case, it would be just that; but it's not.

Life's too short. kdm has an option to pass through a manual DPI setting to x.org, and I have more important things to do, then waste any more time on that nonsense.

Because of that, when last week, on another laptop, gnome-shell suddenly decided to consistently take up 40% of its CPU, doing absolutely nothing but displaying one gnome-terminal window, with "top" running inside it, giving me the sad news every 3 seconds, I weighed my options, and decided that this one will have to be written off also, as a hopeless case.