Re: synchronize time

On 2012/03/08 08:47, Aaron Konstam wrote:
TO NO-REPLY TIM WITH LOVE AND SQUALOR.

On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 18:20 +1030, Tim wrote:

Cause and effect:  Has CUPS stopped working because UTC is set?  Is
the
time set wrong, and has CUPS stopped working because the time is set
wrong?  Is CUPS faulty?  Has CUPS merely indicated that something else
is wrong?

Misdiagnosis:  CUPS browsing has stopped working.  Hmm, I'll blame
CUPS,
and the UTC flag.

Correct diagnosis:  CUPS browsing has stopped working.  Changing UTC
flag changes behaviour.  Investigate whether I've got the clock set
right.  Does setting the time configuration cause CUPS to start
working
properly again?  Yes, there's nothing wrong with CUPS, the fault was
external.

Of course, if you don't understand how to properly set the clocks,
you're going to paint yourself into a corner with the wrong diagnosis.

I've brought up CUPS again, as the original posting used it as the
thing
that noticed a problem, the original poster continually insisted CUPS
had a problem (when it didn't), right up to the last post they
responded
to me on the list with.

Now onto discussing time, as time setting is the problem, CUPS was
just
the thing that brought the error to people's attention.

  Do you mean UTC time zone setting

I'd never seen a UTC "timezone" setting, nor even heard of anyone
referring to one.  Likewise with Greenwich Mean Time.  It's not a zone
(GMT or UTC), as such, but a reference point.  Only KDE seems to offer
it as a choice, and it's a highly illogical choice.  And I'd not
mentioned, in any way, UTC as a timezone setting in prior messages.

I wish you would stop posting this crap:
1. My clocks were set correctly, and I know how to set the clocks.
2. I never said the problem was a defect with CUPS. I just saw the
problem with CUPS browsing. -
3. If you have never seen a UTC setting choice with time zone setting
you have not been watching the screens you get when you install a Fedora
16 disk. Run system-config-date and choose the time zone option and you
will see it.

But most of all go away attacking someone else secure behind your email
no-reply screen.

Don't bother to reply to the nurb. He's more akin to troll than help. Either
that or he is more ignorant than anybody who claims knowledge should be.

{^_^}