Re: synchronize time

Tim:
>> You are misdiagnosing cause and effect.

jdow:
> Now you are being imprecise.

Cause and effect:  Has CUPS stopped working because UTC is set?  Is the
time set wrong, and has CUPS stopped working because the time is set
wrong?  Is CUPS faulty?  Has CUPS merely indicated that something else
is wrong?

Misdiagnosis:  CUPS browsing has stopped working.  Hmm, I'll blame CUPS,
and the UTC flag.

Correct diagnosis:  CUPS browsing has stopped working.  Changing UTC
flag changes behaviour.  Investigate whether I've got the clock set
right.  Does setting the time configuration cause CUPS to start working
properly again?  Yes, there's nothing wrong with CUPS, the fault was
external.

Of course, if you don't understand how to properly set the clocks,
you're going to paint yourself into a corner with the wrong diagnosis.

I've brought up CUPS again, as the original posting used it as the thing
that noticed a problem, the original poster continually insisted CUPS
had a problem (when it didn't), right up to the last post they responded
to me on the list with.

Now onto discussing time, as time setting is the problem, CUPS was just
the thing that brought the error to people's attention.

>  Do you mean UTC time zone setting

I'd never seen a UTC "timezone" setting, nor even heard of anyone
referring to one.  Likewise with Greenwich Mean Time.  It's not a zone
(GMT or UTC), as such, but a reference point.  Only KDE seems to offer
it as a choice, and it's a highly illogical choice.  And I'd not
mentioned, in any way, UTC as a timezone setting in prior messages.

If you live in Greenwich, do you run your clocks on GMT?  No.

Can you live in UTC?  No.

Does any country have a timezone which is exactly the same as UTC?
(Same hours, no daylight savings / summertime.)  I don't know.  But,
logically, and to prevent people doing silly things, you'd really want
to call such a timezone by the name of the timezone (country/local).

Is there a practical point in having a computer show UTC as its
displayed time.  Yes, perhaps...  Such as a server that people will
manage from different international locations, and you want to try to
force them to think about the time, and only have to do one calculation
(there time against UTC, rather than figuring out the difference between
two different timezones).  But it's still a rather foolish and illogical
thing to do.  It's more pragmatic to set the timezone to where the
server really is, and let the software manage that for you.  I'd say
that the only computer where it makes complete sense to have it say it
lives in UTC, is *a* timeserver machine.

> UTC hardware clock setting

The only option I have ever seen, on any release, other than checking
out KDE recently, refers to a flag that say the hardware clock has been
set to UTC, or not.  And I've specifically been saying that the UTC flag
refers to the hardware clock, and that it must reflect what the clock is
set to, in my prior messages.

KDE's configurator seems rather poor in that it will let you set a real
timezone, or a pseudo-UTC one, but has no additional flag to say how you
want the hardware clock to be run.  One has to presume that it
automatically does something to make it correct when you set the clock
(set the UTC flag, or set the hardware clock to match the time according
to how the UTC flag was already set).  If this doesn't actually work,
though it appears to here, then that's a fault that can be raised (but
with the KDE date and time tool, not a CUPS issue).

The Gnome tool, at least, lets you separately set whether the
"system" (hardware) clock is set to local or UTC, set the date and clock
to a specific date and time (or let a NTP server do so, for you), and
set the timezone (with no obvious listing for an illogical UTC timezone
that doesn't exist - there may be some timezones that are the same as
UTC, but UTC isn't a timezone).

> the UTC/LOCAL indication in /etc/adjtime (the check box on the time
> zone setting tool)?

I haven't mentioned the configuration file that it's set in.  And if one
is using one of the configuration GUIs to set the time, it hasn't really
been important to the user how and where the setting is set.  But
anyway, set it by hand, or let the configurator set it for you, and the
result's the same.  *It* is the UTC flag.

> This is known working:
>      HARDWARE    CHECKBOX    TIMEZONE
>         UTC         UTC         ANY
>         LOCAL       LOCAL       ANY

The above two are the only way to correctly set the time.

> These are known to break at least NTP:
>      HARDWARE    CHECKBOX    TIMEZONE
>         UTC         LOCAL       ANY
>         LOCAL       UTC         ANY

The above two would always be incorrect, and I wouldn't expect anything
to work reliably on such a system.  I wouldn't really care if they
didn't, because you shouldn't expect things to run properly under faulty
conditions.  I certainly expect anything that does date comparisons to
mess up when the time is set wrong (all aspects of clock setting, not
just that you might put in 4pm instead of 5pm).

Furthermore, I wouldn't be at all surprised that some services may well
need restarting after changing the time.  More so if you've happened to
set the clock backwards.

> You still ignore the correct two places that must agree for "everything"
> to work, the setting for the motherboard clock must be either UTC or local
> time and that information must be telegraphed to the OS with the value in
> the third line of "/etc/adjtime" which is apparently set by the appropriate
> checkbox on the time zone setting panel.

No, I haven't ignored that, at all.  Haven't you read my messages?  I've
said, numerous times, that the UTC flag must reflect what the hardware
clock is set to.  I've explained it briefly, I've explained it in
detail.

How and where that flag is being set isn't the issue.  And unless
someone mis-setting this specifically says whether they were using a GUI
or hand-diddling configuration files, that's not a route I was going to
go down.

My approach has always been to say *what* needs to be done, not *how* it
should be done.  e.g. If I were to tell someone to rename a file in
their homespace, the last way I'd tell them to do that would be with a
list of instructions for what commands to issue, or what steps to take
with a certain file browser.  I'd say, delete *this* file.

More so, for this reason, too.  From my memory, it was /etc/localtime
(linked to a timezone file, or not), and /etc/sysconfig/clock, but
not /etc/adjtime, that were the configuration files for the hardware
clock being set to localtime or GMT.  And that /etc/adjtime was a file
that NTP used for itself (and possibly a NTP equivalent replacement
program).

If one's using a configuration tool to set these things, then it should
handle all aspects, correctly, for you (set the clock to the right time,
set the timezone you've picked, set the UTC flag if appropriate).  The
Gnome and KDE tools appear to be doing their jobs, here.  No amount of
fiddling with them has managed to break CUPS browsing, for me.

And that's why, all the way along, I've talked about setting the
UTC/not-UTC flag for the hardware clock to match the hardware clock,
*and* set the timezone correctly (two different things, mentioned
separately).

The person with the problem should really state what they're using to
set things.  Then we can guide them through using that thing, rather
than start them off using unfamiliar tools.  Sure, get them to switch
tools if you have to, as a second approach.

NB:  I am also looking at Fedora 16, not just Fedora 9, I happen to be
typing this email on a different computer (before someone jumps to the
obvious wrong conclusion when they look at my email signature).

>> The simple proof is, if you have set the clock configuration correct,
>> CUPS browsing will work.

> He has said he made it correct. Apparently he meant making the motherboard
> clock and the checkbox agree. He was NOT talking about timezone setting.

I've barely mentioned timezone settings, in as much as setting it
correctly, and certainly never mentioned attempting to set UTC as a
timezone (it's not really what you'd call a timezone, anyway).  I've
been been discussing, over and over, UTC/not-UTC flag for the hardware
clock.

Just where do you see an option that lets you set UTC as a "timezone"?
KDE is the only place I've seen that.  And I don't recall Aaron saying
what he's using.  And one really should (say what they're using) if one
is using something other than the default GUI Fedora uses (Gnome), even
if it is damn annoying (Gnome3, at least, in the latest incarnation).

> At worst Aaron is guilty ONLY of imprecision in telling us what he had
> to do.

That's been obvious, for some time.  It seems he doesn't understand the
aspects that are involved in setting clocks, particularly in a something
designed for an international environment.

>  We cleared this up in private emails.

Well, there's certainly been no indication that things have been cleared
up in public emails.  Quite the contrary.  All the public emails have
indicated that things are not right (i.e. insisting, right up to the
last email, that setting UTC stops CUPS from functioning correctly).

If Aaron and you have been guilty of one thing, it's of *interpreting*
my mails, instead of reading what they actually say.  Do not take what I
say to actually mean something else, nor to allude to something, take it
as what it actually says.

I've explained the settings involved in the clocks, in depth.  I've set
them out in one-line descriptions.  I've described and explained the
different clocks.  I've explained the pluses and minuses of setting your
hardware clock on UTC or localtime.  The information has been there in
several different ways for someone to be able to grasp at least one of
the explanations, or to ask for clarification.

If Aaron wants to persist in saying that CUPS browsing doesn't work when
the clock is on UTC, then let him submit a bugzilla report.  I think we
know what the answer will be:  No, CUPS works either way.  You've got
your clock configurations set wrong.  Read the docs and set them right,
or report a bug in the tool you used to set the time.

And no, I'm not setting out on a personal attack on Aaron.  It's always
been about fixing the right fault, and how the clocks should be set.  If
one wants to persist in arguing from the wrong end of the stick, whoever
they are, they're going to keep getting told (by someone) that they're
doing it wrong.  This isn't Windows, you can't just keep rebooting until
something different happens.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686