Re: [ABANDONING:] Re: fedora equivalent of recovery disk

On 12/21/2011 03:44 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
<>

> I am trusting from what I read that I might not have a bootable image,
> but I have an image of the hardrive sans boot stuff that I can restore
> back to the hardrive.
-=-

to clarify word 'image'.

to me, an 'image' is one complete file, viewable with a hex editor.

file/s backup are file/s viewable with hex editor or text editor, depending
on type of file/s.

>> instead of trying to make usb backup bootable, try 'chroot' and use 'rpm'
>> and 'yum' to check files.
>
> I've saved these notes and will wait for laptop to get repaired
>
>> as for unique files, comparing by 'path/file' will/would be way to go.
>
> already understood
-=-

just clarifying.

>> to restore unique that you remove, boot laptop with system that you removed
>> unique files from and copy unique files back in from usb or dvd backup.
>
> Though this makes sense, I am thinking that the reason I would want
> image is for a complete snap and the dealing with uniques and all that I
> would be doing deltas with CD/DVD. I always make copy of any system
> files I change as well. I usually do full archive once a month and
> deltas every week (or more often if I do lots of changes).
-=-

it appears you do have some good habits. tho you could/should backup more
often because you are dealing with mechanics and electronics. :-)

daily backups could be made if you can leave cd/dvd 'open'. something that
cdroast has ability to do, k3b does not.

because of this, i find advantage of tape backups because you can append
to end of previous backup, and if need be, carry over to another tape.

>> or, 'rpm' and 'yum' checks. unique files/data by path/file comparing.
>
> Yes, I bearing this in mind.
-=-

just checking again. :-)

> I hadn't thought of adding the "check bios and advise" as part of the
> repair ... I might be making a trip back to add it on to the list. But
> only as an "advise first" as I really don't want if it isn't going to do
> me any good (don't fix something if it isn't broke).
-=-

for sure. ;-)

> Thanks,
-=-

again, welcome.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**