[ABANDONING:] Re: fedora equivalent of recovery disk

I tried Plop and keep getting a message of "missing operating system". Couldn't tell if it is Plop CD or Clonezilla USB (though I suspect the latter since running Plop Linux boots up fine and works). The best I can find via Google is that it needs grub and I would think that, if that is true, then I didn't get a full image on USB that I can boot from (as in it is just a restore image?). Nothing in Plop home site about that message.

The poor laptop is now begging me to just get it repaired and I've gotten to the point where I have put in enough time trying to get around having to do a fresh install that its going to be cheaper in man hours to just do the brute force reinstall.

Plus, Best Buy has told me that since the laptop isn't under warranty, they don't care what operating system is on it so long as they can log in to a "bare minimum environment" (as in give them a browser and they are happy). That means I have to get stuff off (3rd party beta software and the like) before giving it to them and my time gets allocated to that.

I am keeping the Clonezilla-ed USB and will try a restore before I kick the machine to F16 xfce. I've learned alot during this whole thread and all the help is appreciated. Wish I could have reported "solved", but I've got to cut my losses and this seems like the right point in time.

For what it is worth, I really think that a tool for creating an iso that can be booted from or used to restore a disk should be part of the operating system. It shouldn't be an external tool which isn't tightly bound to the operating system (and the different versions / updates). If there is a reason why it can't be, I'm more than ready to listen. If I don't hear one, I'll probably bugzilla it against Fedora once I am on f16 and off an eol release.

Paul