Re: [Fedora Robotics] Installing ROS on Fedora 18, and "the pcl issue" -- is there any hope?

> Hi Mary, Rich,
>
> Would you folks have an srpm uploaded somewhere with the patch that I
> could use please? I tried patching up the srpm from fedora git, but the
> patch fails somehow. Any chance you documented what additional packages
> you needed to install to get your stuff working Mary?
>
> Rich, there are two patches at the ticket[1]. Which one do you suggest I
> use? Would you remember what version it was generated against? It fails
> against both the 1.6 release tar from upstream and the source in fedora
> git (which I expect must be the same).
>
> I've been updating the ros wiki page on Fedora installs[2] as I go along
> so it might help others.
>
> This is my spec currently[3]. I might make the rpm available on
> fedorapeople for folks who want to use ros once I get it to build
> correctly.

Hi Ankur,

You're using the correct patch (the rosintegration-v2 patch.)  It was
created against PCL 1.6.0, so it should apply cleanly when using the
current srpm.  I tried it last night, and it seems to be working OK (I
didn't sit through the whole build process though, just through CMake
and the first couple files)

You do have to do a couple of extra steps after you apply the patch
though.  First, you need to source /path/to/ros/setup.sh at the
beginning of the %build section.  Then you need to add -DUSE_ROS=ON to
the CMake command.  You should see some CMake output along the lines
of "Found ROS, using ROS" during the build.

The build that I tried last night was against the ROS Fuerte underlay
from my copr[1], if you're interested I could create a ros-fuerte-pcl
srpm and build it there pretty easily.

Rich

[1] http://copr-fe.cloud.fedoraproject.org/coprs/detail/rmattes/ros-fuerte/