Re: [Fedora Robotics] Robotics SIG update

On 26.06.2010 13:12, Rich Mattes wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi Rich and all.

I have been pretty busy recently but finally made it to reply. Thanks
for the great work on the Player package btw!

> It's been a while since we've coordinated last.  I think it's about time
> we get together for a status update, and identify what we should be
> working towards for F-14 onwards.
>
> So far we have the eventual goal of getting a robotics LiveCD together,
> and we've briefly discussed creating some demo programs for robotics
> education.  We should continue brainstorming and narrowing down areas of
> development for these ideas.  We've also got quite a list of interesting
> projects on the SIG wiki page, is anyone actively working on packaging
> any of them?

You're absolutely right! I'm personally working on packaging Fawkes atm.
We have just pushed the 0.4 release which supports system-wide
installation. The current package still has some issues that I have to
go through, but eventually I'll file it for review. It's on
http://fedorapeople.org/~timn/robotics/.

Since Fawkes provides the whole stack, from the low-level system all the
way up to a scripting environment for the robot behavior, I think it is
a good candidate to form the base system. With Player and Stage in
Fedora, that should be our simulation environment for a start. Later we
can try more fancy 3D sims, but for the beginning that should suffice.

In IRC meetings a few months ago we had this idea of a game-like intro
to the system, where you need to get the robot do something in the
simulated environment which we make more complex from level to level.
E.g. in the start it could be clicking for "go there" if someone comes
up with a GUI, or text commands otherwise. The hardest level would
require you to write a program that gets a more elaborated task done.
E.g. find a box in the environment. Check for the color of the box,
depending on the color, bring it to destination area A, B or C. That's
not what it has to be, but it's just to give you an idea of where I
would like things going. I want to get people interested in playing with
the robot. And once they're addicted we suck out their brain by making
them write awesome robot software :-)

What 'ya think? What are your ideas? What do you (that's you sitting in
front of the monitor, yes, you!) want to see on a robot LiveCD and what
can you and do you want to do to help?

	Tim

--
     Tim Niemueller <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>      www.niemueller.de