Re: Use of whitelist/blacklist in articles

It is an interesting question, and the term "blacklist" has a myriad of
meanings depending upon the context.  There is a television series
called The Black List in which the term means a list of evil people who
are above the law... or so they believe.  Amazon maintains a blacklist
of certain books, though they will deny that they do.  I know because my
books are all on it.  There was the famous blacklist of "commies" from
the era of "Tailgunner" Joe McCarthy.  In the context you use the term
in your question (as applied to a person) it means both to restrict and
deny.  In the era of McCarthyism, many people had their livelihoods
destroyed just because they were accused.  There was a Black lady who
was accused of something.... I don't remember her name or what she was
accused of... but after a while it became obvious that this woman did
not have anything close to the ability to have done what she was accused
of.  That was pretty much the end of McCarthyism.

In this thread, though, we are not applying it to people, just data.

Are black chess pieces "evil"?  No, they are just diametrically opposed
to the white pieces.

When I pick a product or service, I don't normally look into the race of
the author, the owner of the business or the inventor of the product.
Most of the people who care for my autistic son at his day program are
Black.  A book I just picked up called "War Girls" was written by a
Black man.  I note this because I've had the book for a few days now and
just happened to notice the author's picture this morning.

I think that if a term like "blacklist" offends you, then you need to
grow thicker skin.  Years ago I was unloading a bunch of guns from the
trunk of my car.  It was probably about 2:30 in the morning and a couple
of young men were walking down the sidewalk in front of my house.

"Whassup nigga?" of one them asked me.  His buddy, who happened to be
Black, immediately grabbed his head in his hands and bent forward making
some kind of remark to his buddy upon realizing that an middle-aged
white man had just been called something he might find offensive... and
had an arm-load of guns that might or might not be loaded from his
viewpoint.

I smiled and said "It's OK, I been called worse." ;)

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 05:58:30PM +0530, Vipul Siddharth wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 5:55 PM Silvia Sánchez <bhkohane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > That's really looking for a cat's fifth leg.  Blacklist has nothing to do
> > with evil, it's just a list of things you don't want to see or use, and
> > whitelist is a list of things you want to explicitly allow.
> > Let's say we're talking about drivers, and I want to blacklist a specific
> > drivers because it's clashing with the default.  Does that mean that
> > driver is evil?  No, it's just means there's a conflict of versions or
> > products.
>
> hey, so serious question: what does blacklist mean?
> is it a list to restrict or deny someone?
>
> > Trying to find good and evil in a technical issue is pointless and I agree
> > with others that this is a non-issue discussion.
> > The terms are not obfuscatory.  They have been used for decades if not
> > more, and people understand them without even reaching for a dictionary.
> > If it makes you feel better, use another term.  I for myself will not.  My
> > life is complicated enough to worry about terms that haven't and never had
> > any foul meaning.
> > For the records, I did read the thread.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Lailah
> >

> > On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 at 01:43, Paul Frields <stickster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > I don't know how to say this any more clearly. Please read back into the
> > > thread. The issue is not the use of the word "black."
> > >
> > > The issue is the use of "blacklist/whitelist" where black and white are
> > > representative of evil and good respectively. It serves no useful purpose
> > > and is better expressed as allow/deny. Blacklist and whitelist are
> > > *themselves* obfuscatory terms. That's why it only makes more sense to stop
> > > using them.

> --
> Vipul Siddharth
> He/His/Him
> Fedora | CentOS CI Infrastructure Team
> Red Hat
> w: vipul.dev

Dale A. Raby

Buy my books: The Wives of Jacob, Book One, In the Beginning..., The
Post-Apocalyptic Blacksmith, 777 Bon Mots for Gunslingers and Other Real Men.
Available from most online book sellers.