Re: AI/ML Model and Pre-Trained Weight Packaging in Fedora

On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 5:20 PM Richard Fontana <rfontana@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Following Tim's explanations of various things, here are revised
> answers to the questions:
>
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 6:32 PM Tim Flink <tflink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Questions
> > =========
> >
> > 1. Are pre-trained weights considered to be normal non-code content/data or do they require special handling?
>
> For Fedora license classification purposes, they should be considered
> "content". However, I think for any specific pre-trained weights that
> will actually be included in Fedora packages, for some initial period
> I'd like to do some further review (as noted upthread, because this is
> an important policy area and we don't have a lot of prior experience
> in it). I don't really care how that's done, that could be through
> this list or a Bugzilla or whatever.
>
> We'll add "pre-trained weights" to the list of examples of what
> "content" is in the Fedora legal docs.
>
> > 2. If an upstream offers pre-trained weights and indicates that those weights are available under a license which is acceptable for non-code content in Fedora, can those pre-trained weights be included in Fedora packages?
>
> Yes subject to my answer to 1.
>
> > 3. Extending question 2, is it considered sufficient for an upstream to have a license on pre-trained weights or would a packager/reviewer need to verify that the data used to train those weights is acceptable?
>
> A packager/reviewer should not need to do that verification, which
> seems highly impractical (which is a point I think you may have
> previously made). However, that could be an aspect of the "initial
> legal review" I'm suggesting we may want to have for such cases.
>
> > 4. Is it acceptable to package code which downloads pre-trained weights from a non-Fedora source upon first use post-installation by a user if that model and its associated weights are
> >     a. For a specific model?
> >     b. For a user-defined model which may or may not exist at the time of packaging?
>
> Given your explanations of these cases, I think this is pretty straightforward.
> 4a: Yes
> 4b: Yes
>
> These answers only go to matters of Fedora legal/licensing policy. If
> there are technical issues raised by these questions (for example, if
> there ought to be some standards around packaging of upstream
> pre-trained weights) I can't give guidance or informed opinions on
> that beyond my initial suggestion to raise this topic with FESCo which
> seems to have been unsuccessful.

With my FESCo hat on, the main question to answer is how we classify
and identify them for package reviews, which is largely a Fedora Legal
question. Personally, it's basically content to me, we do probably
need some explicit documentation of this for the guidance that the
AI/ML SIG can use to write packaging guidelines for FPC to review.