Re: AI/ML Model and Pre-Trained Weight Packaging in Fedora

If you want to apply additional review to neural net coefficients, I suppose you might as well start with those already packaged in stockfish[1]. (I CC’d the stockfish-maintainers email alias to loop in the primary maintainer. I am a co-maintainer, and I did the original package review.)

Stockfish is a state-of-the-art chess engine. The code is licensed GPL-3.0-or-later, but it requires two pre-trained neural network coefficient files to function. These coefficient files are selected from those at [2], all licensed CC0-1.0, and they are compiled into the binaries rather than shipped as separate files. This is quite consistent with treating them as content; there is a long history of including content – like graphics, audio, or text files – as data in compiled executables.

The Fedora package always uses the “default” coefficient sets for a particular release of Stockfish, as defined in [3].

– Ben Beasley (FAS: music)

[1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/stockfish

[2] https://tests.stockfishchess.org/nns

[3] https://github.com/official-stockfish/Stockfish/blob/e67cc979fd2c0e66dfc2b2f2daa0117458cfc462/src/evaluate.h#L42-L43