Re: valgrind devel headers license tag (bzip2-1.0.6?)

Hi Jilayne,

On Sat, 2023-11-25 at 01:49 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 01:18:22PM -0500, Richard Fontana wrote:

> > You could also ask Jilayne Lovejoy
> > to consider it, she's one of the SPDX-legal leads and also reads this
> > list.
>
> Great. So yes, that would be nice. So Jilayne, if we could get a
> generic identifier for this license statement, maybe just call it
> 'Hybrid-BSD' [*], that would be really helpful.

This would still be really useful. If you know the history behind the
version specific identifier, which is, as far as I can tell, not even
used by bzip2 itself or by anyone redistributing bzip2, that would be
helpful. There is a subpackage of Valgrind (valgrind-devel) that uses
kind of a similar text, but in valgrind it is used as a kind of file-
based GPL-exception with extra notices at the top and the bottom
explaining what the larger work is for which the exception holds, and a
disclaimer by the organisation that paid for the work (which I believe
isn't legally significant, but Richard thinks is). See also
https://gitlab.com/fedora/legal/fedora-license-data/-/issues/422