Re: Bundled Public Domain/CC0-1.0 blake2 library in Python

On Tue, Aug 29, 2023 at 7:18 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> when reviewing a pull request by Yaakov [1], I realized Python bundles [2] the
> reference blake2 implementation known as libb2 [3]. We already have that
> packaged in Fedora as libb2, licensed as CC0. The library itself has:
>
> > To the extent possible under law, the author(s) have dedicated all copyright
> > and related and neighboring rights to this software to the public domain
> > worldwide. This software is distributed without any warranty.
> >
> > You should have received a copy of the CC0 Public Domain Dedication along with
> > this software. If not, see <http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/>.
>
> In the source files.
>
> So this is "public domain" but it also mentions CC0 Public Domain Dedication
> explicitly. Is this LicenseRef-Fedora-Public-Domain or CC0-1.0? And if it is
> the latter, how do I deal with that?
>
> [1] https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/python3.12/pull-request/63
> [2] https://github.com/python/cpython/tree/main/Modules/_blake2/impl
> [3] https://github.com/BLAKE2/libb2

I'd treat this as CC0-1.0 (I don't think that is altered by the form
of license notice on individual source files). Presumably it's covered
by the grandfathering exception
https://gitlab.com/fedora/legal/fedora-license-data/-/blob/main/data/CC0-1.0.toml?ref_type=heads#L11-14

Richard