Re: Effective license analysis: required or not?

On Mon, Aug 28, 2023 at 6:40 PM Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dne 28. 08. 23 v 17:26 Petr Pisar napsal(a):
> > V Sun, Aug 27, 2023 at 12:30:01PM -0400, Richard Fontana napsal(a):

> >> Out of curiosity, is what subpackage is the "main" subpackage a well
> >> defined concept, or is it just "the builit package that is described
> >> first in the spec file" and beyond that a matter of convention? I
> >> couldn't find the answer to this in a few minutes of naive searching.
> >>
> > I don't think the "main" title is an offical RPM term. Probably that's why you
> > were unable to find it. It's used at few places in Fedora packaging guidelines
> > <https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/>.
> >
> > Otherwise, the concept is well defined. At least empirically.
> >
> > The "main" subpackage is a subpackage which is defined with Name spec tag. All
> > subsequent subpackages can and are only defined with a %package macro.  RPM
> > requires the Name tag to exist and come before any %package macros.  Hence,
> > the main subpackage which  shares a License value with a source package is
> > usually and effectively the first subpackage.
> >
> > I write usually, because there can be spec files which do not produce a binary
> > package for the first subpackage. Then the only package where the Name tag
> > (and its License tag, if overriden in other subpackages) manifests is the
> > source package. We use these spec files without main binary subpackge rarely
> > in EPEL.
>

> Isn't it the default case for python packages? IOW I don't think it is
> that rare (although I am not sure why you mention EPEL instead of Fedora).

It's also the default case for all packages for Rust crates (about
~2200 packages in Fedora), and for most Go packages.

In the Rust case, the main package's name is rust-foo, but names of
built binary packages are rust-foo-devel, rust-foo+bar-devel, and
optionally, foo (but *not* rust-foo). This way, the license tag for
the source package (i.e. the "main" package, the thing that doesn't
really exist) applies to all these *-devel subpackages (which is what
we want), and the "foo" package gets a separate license tag (to
account for statically linked dependencies).

So yes, we rely on and adhere to the "License tag reflects binary
package contents" rule.

Fabio