Re: Effective license analysis: required or not?

V Sun, Aug 27, 2023 at 12:30:01PM -0400, Richard Fontana napsal(a):
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 3:34 AM Petr Pisar <ppisar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > V Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 01:04:29PM +0200, Florian Weimer napsal(a):
> > > * Most package maintainers probably assume that License: tags on all
> > >   built RPMs (source RPMs and binary RPMs) should reflect binary package
> > >   contents, at least when all subpackages are considered in aggregate.
> > >   Often, Source RPMs contain the same License: line as binary RPMs.
> > >
> > That's a shortcomming of RPM. It reuses License tag of the main subpackage for
> > source RPM.
>
> Out of curiosity, is what subpackage is the "main" subpackage a well
> defined concept, or is it just "the builit package that is described
> first in the spec file" and beyond that a matter of convention? I
> couldn't find the answer to this in a few minutes of naive searching.

I don't think the "main" title is an offical RPM term. Probably that's why you
were unable to find it. It's used at few places in Fedora packaging guidelines
<https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/>.

Otherwise, the concept is well defined. At least empirically.

The "main" subpackage is a subpackage which is defined with Name spec tag. All
subsequent subpackages can and are only defined with a %package macro.  RPM
requires the Name tag to exist and come before any %package macros.  Hence,
the main subpackage which  shares a License value with a source package is
usually and effectively the first subpackage.

I write usually, because there can be spec files which do not produce a binary
package for the first subpackage. Then the only package where the Name tag
(and its License tag, if overriden in other subpackages) manifests is the
source package. We use these spec files without main binary subpackge rarely
in EPEL.

Nevertheless, in short, the main subpackage is the first package defined in
a spec file.

-- Petr