Re: Effective license analysis: required or not?

On Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 3:34 AM Petr Pisar <ppisar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> V Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 01:04:29PM +0200, Florian Weimer napsal(a):
> > * Most package maintainers probably assume that License: tags on all
> >   built RPMs (source RPMs and binary RPMs) should reflect binary package
> >   contents, at least when all subpackages are considered in aggregate.
> >   Often, Source RPMs contain the same License: line as binary RPMs.
> >
> That's a shortcomming of RPM. It reuses License tag of the main subpackage for
> source RPM.

Out of curiosity, is what subpackage is the "main" subpackage a well
defined concept, or is it just "the builit package that is described
first in the spec file" and beyond that a matter of convention? I
couldn't find the answer to this in a few minutes of naive searching.

> > In the light of this, I would like to suggest updating the guidelines in
> > the following way:
> >
> >   The License: line should be based on the sources only.  Using a tool
> >   such as Fossology to discover relevant licenses and their SPDX tags is
> >   sufficient.  No analysis how licenses from package source code or the
> >   build environment propagate into binary RPMs should be performed.
> >   Individual SPDX identifiers that a tool has listed should be separated
> >   by AND.  Package maintainers are encouraged to re-run license analysis
> >   tooling on the source code as part of major package rebases, and
> >   update the License: tag accordingly.
> >
> > To me, that seems to be much more manageable.
> >
> Yes, that's a very realistic approach of what we can expect from the
> packagers.
>
> I only worry whether the resulting License tag will be any helpful for our
> users.  E.g. most of the subpackages of perl.spec are "GPL-1.0-or-later OR
> Artistic-1.0-Perl". With your approach their license tag would gain
> a ridiculous license identifiers that are not really contained.

This could possibly be addressed by Daniel's idea of a "use your
judgment to exclude what is clearly irrelevant" standard (as I would
put it).

Richard