Re: process for review of licenses

On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 12:19 PM Jilayne Lovejoy <jlovejoy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/14/22 9:30 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:

> I have to agree with David here, Neal. I don't know exactly what the
> criteria is for identifying changes owners, but it'd seem like at a
> minimum it would be someone who is 1) fully supportive on the Change
> Proposal and 2) actively contributing to moving it forward.
>
> As David has already noted and others have before - this is not a new
> idea. Many of the issues you continue to raise have been discussed
> multiple times over the years.

But they haven't been discussed here. And finding references to older
discussions elsewhere is not easy, so I'm reduced to bringing it up
again and making sure that's all captured.

And any discussions that happened within Red Hat *did not happen* from
a Fedora point of view, and I certainly don't know about them.
Contrary to popular belief, I don't work at Red Hat and have no idea
what's actually going on there a good chunk of the time. :)

> >> I am not opposed to changing to SPDX identifiers, but there's a world
> >> of difference between that and basically saying that we are not in
> >> control of our license process. Switching to SPDX identifiers and the
> >> SPDX identifier scheme has a ton of consequences, and we need to
> >> actually be cognizant and account for them. I'm bringing this up all
> >> the time because I've seen it go wrong before and I don't want it to
> >> go wrong here now.
> >>
> I'm sorry that you are still scarred from this previous experience
> outside of Fedora, which I think involved some kind of adoption of SPDX
> identifiers without collaborating with the SPDX community. But that was
> then/that experience - and this is now. Let's focus on moving forward :)

Indeed. Perhaps we'll do better this time around.