Re: process for review of licenses

On 6/8/22 12:23 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Wed, Jun 8, 2022 at 2:09 PM Richard Fontana <rfontana@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 8, 2022 at 1:58 PM Jilayne Lovejoy <jlovejoy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
` If the license is not on the SPDX License List, then submit the license to the to the SPDX-legal team at https://tools.spdx.org/app/submit_new_license/. In addition to the required information, include a note that it is under review for Fedora and a link to the related Fedora License Data Gitlab issue.
Shouldn't this step depend on the license actually being approved by
Fedora first? I guess that's more of an SPDX question than a Fedora
question. Do you want people to be submitting licenses to SPDX even if
the end result might be that Fedora classifies it as "not allowed"? Of
course the license might still meet SPDX's inclusion guidelines.

It should be approved by Fedora with a provisional identifier, and
that identifier should be forwarded to SPDX. We don't want to have
Fedora wait on SPDX.

I already responded to Richard's comment above as to why not wait on this step, but to add to that and in light of Neal's comment about the identifier - while "waiting on SPDX" is not ideal, we also don't want to jump to fast to using a provisional identifier, as it's on the SPDX legal team to ensure that identifier is not already used by another license - pretty important aspect for all involved.

For insight as to how the process works over at SPDX - here is an example of a (Fedora) license I submitted the other day: https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/issues/1522

Jilayne