Re: process for review of licenses

On Wed, Jun 8, 2022 at 1:58 PM Jilayne Lovejoy <jlovejoy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> How to request review of a new license
> If you find a license for a package you want to include in Fedora and that license is not listed in the Fedora License Data, you can submit it for review as follows:
>
> Note: you must be a Fedora contributer and become part of the Fedora Gitlab group. See LINK for more on how to become a Fedora contributor.

I can sort of see why you'd want the submitter to be a Fedora
contributor (I assume that means a Fedora account holder) but is it
necessary to become part of the Fedora Gitlab group just to submit an
issue?

> 1) Create a new issue in the Fedora License Data repo with the following information: license name, link to text of license, package name and link, why you want to include it in Fedora, whether it is on the SPDX License List, and the SPDX expression as applicable (see below for hints on determining if a license text matches a license on the SPDX License List)

Is "why you want to include it in Fedora" necessary? If they are
linking to a package, presumably that's either an existing Fedora
package (i.e., the license *should* have been approved but never was,
or was approved based on outdated criteria and methodology) or a
proposed Fedora package. So the rationale for inclusion should always
be obvious and not require any further justification.

> ` If the license is not on the SPDX License List, then submit the license to the to the SPDX-legal team at https://tools.spdx.org/app/submit_new_license/. In addition to the required information, include a note that it is under review for Fedora and a link to the related Fedora License Data Gitlab issue.

Shouldn't this step depend on the license actually being approved by
Fedora first? I guess that's more of an SPDX question than a Fedora
question. Do you want people to be submitting licenses to SPDX even if
the end result might be that Fedora classifies it as "not allowed"? Of
course the license might still meet SPDX's inclusion guidelines.

Richard