Re: Software whose only purpose is to breach web site terms of service

On 07/02/2018 11:10 AM, Scott Dowdle wrote:
> It is kinda like some of the hardware emulators... they can be used to run stolen ROMs as well as legit.

This is similar, but the nuance matters here.

In the case of youtube, the content is being distributed with
permission, the issue is whether the way that the material is being
accessed is a concern. If youtube wanted to prevent these tools from
accessing their site, they could do so (citing violation of their TOS),
but use of these tools is not currently a crime under US Federal or
State law (see previous message from me on this thread for more details).

With "stolen ROMs", there is no permission being given to distribute
these files. A tool which was hardwired to download these files might
not be accessible. In Fedora, we do not permit emulators which depend on
such ROMs to function, and do not allow emulators to assist people in
downloading such ROMs.

hth,

~tom