Re: Questions about some things I'm doing for my SIG

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 11:36 AM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 05:08:04PM -0000, Abhiram Kuchibhotla wrote:
>> I have a few questions about some things I'm doing for the Fedora Live SIG that I started a week ago.
>> Firstly, are SIGs allowed to have their own branding?
>> The reason I'm asking this is that since this is a very livestream oriented SIG, am I allowed to provide a kit containing stream cards that would be shown from time to time. Another reason I'm asking this is that is it alright for me to use the fedora logo as shown in the image below:
>
> Yes, you absolutely can have your own branding.
>
> See the guidelines here
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines and in
> particular the usage guidelines for the logo at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines.
>
> In general, the best approach is to work with the Design Team
> https://pagure.io/design to make sure the proposed logo works. This
> isn't meant to introduce bureaucracy but to make sure Fedora is
> represented well — not any comment on your proposed design, but we
> *have* in the past had examples which didn't get the colors right or
> been off-message in some way.
>
>> Secondly, what is the policy on domains? Am I allowed to register,
>> say, `fedoralive.streams` and then redirect it back to the SIG wiki
>> page to make it easier to publicize the SIG?
>
> That's also in the policy document linked above, at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines#Domain_names,
> and also https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Local_community_domains
>
> In general, a custom domain discouraged, as it can lead to all sorts of
> problems. How about fedoralive.fedoracommunity.org?

Is this the first time we've ever used *.fedoracommunity.org? I've
never seen it used before...

Also, if we're going to use that, probably live.fedoracommunity.org
makes more sense.

And we've previously done custom domains for stuff, for example:
.net: fedoraloves.net
Python: fedoralovespython.org
Get Fedora: getfedora.org (this one was actually a pretty painful change...)

Custom domains are not specifically disallowed either, but a trademark
license from Red Hat is required. Alternatively, Red Hat/Fedora could
purchase the domain for the use.

If it is possible, we should get fedorastreams.live and/or fedoralive.stream