Re: Questions about some things I'm doing for my SIG

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 05:08:04PM -0000, Abhiram Kuchibhotla wrote:
> I have a few questions about some things I'm doing for the Fedora Live SIG that I started a week ago.
> Firstly, are SIGs allowed to have their own branding?
> The reason I'm asking this is that since this is a very livestream oriented SIG, am I allowed to provide a kit containing stream cards that would be shown from time to time. Another reason I'm asking this is that is it alright for me to use the fedora logo as shown in the image below:

Yes, you absolutely can have your own branding.

See the guidelines here
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines and in
particular the usage guidelines for the logo at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines.

In general, the best approach is to work with the Design Team
https://pagure.io/design to make sure the proposed logo works. This
isn't meant to introduce bureaucracy but to make sure Fedora is
represented well — not any comment on your proposed design, but we
*have* in the past had examples which didn't get the colors right or
been off-message in some way.

> Secondly, what is the policy on domains? Am I allowed to register,
> say, `fedoralive.streams` and then redirect it back to the SIG wiki
> page to make it easier to publicize the SIG?

That's also in the policy document linked above, at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines#Domain_names,
and also https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Local_community_domains

In general, a custom domain discouraged, as it can lead to all sorts of
problems. How about fedoralive.fedoracommunity.org?

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>