Re: SPDX license tags and Rust packaging

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 6:15 PM, Haïkel <hguemar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I know that it's been discussed from time to time about using SPDX
>> identifiers for our license tags[1][2]. In the Rust SIG, we're
>> beginning the work to figure out the packaging of Rust things. Cargo,
>> the Rust equivalent of Python's pip, enforces the usage of SPDX
>> identifiers for license tags in the Cargo.toml (the file indicating
>> the metadata of a "crate").
>>
>> If we're considering using SPDX identifiers for license tags (as it
>> appeared to be the case in Tom's FOSDEM talk[3]), would it be possible
>> to grant us the ability to just use that data instead of having to
>> attempt to maintain a mapping of SPDX to Fedora short tags? Since our
>> ecosystem in Fedora is basically zero right now, we could avoid the
>> ugliness right from the get-go.
>>

> This is just my opinion.
> 1. I do not see any justification to grant a specific exception *only*
> to the Rust SIG

I actually would like us to just allow it voluntarily all over, and
that Rust SIG would just happen to be the first to do it. I think
that's probably better than just an exception for Rust SIG. :)

> 2. The mapping is quite straightforward for most cases (Cf. the
> discussion on fedora-legal),
> so technically it's not uglier than what other languages packaging utilities do.

I'm aware of the logical mapping, but I don't know of any
implementations that attempt to go SPDX->Fedora automatically. I think
it'd just be cumbersome, especially as SPDX identifiers grow as the
license list is revised over time. I'd much rather skip all that and
just start using them directly...

> I still think that we should move to SPDX but maintaining consistency
> within the distro is also important.

I don't disagree, but we need to start somewhere...