Re: SPDX license tags and Rust packaging

> Hello all,
>
> I know that it's been discussed from time to time about using SPDX
> identifiers for our license tags[1][2]. In the Rust SIG, we're
> beginning the work to figure out the packaging of Rust things. Cargo,
> the Rust equivalent of Python's pip, enforces the usage of SPDX
> identifiers for license tags in the Cargo.toml (the file indicating
> the metadata of a "crate").
>
> If we're considering using SPDX identifiers for license tags (as it
> appeared to be the case in Tom's FOSDEM talk[3]), would it be possible
> to grant us the ability to just use that data instead of having to
> attempt to maintain a mapping of SPDX to Fedora short tags? Since our
> ecosystem in Fedora is basically zero right now, we could avoid the
> ugliness right from the get-go.

This is just my opinion.
1. I do not see any justification to grant a specific exception *only*
to the Rust SIG
2. The mapping is quite straightforward for most cases (Cf. the
discussion on fedora-legal),
so technically it's not uglier than what other languages packaging utilities do.

For example, this is how pyp2rpm converts pypi classifiers into Fedora
short tags, this is quite simple code.
https://github.com/fedora-python/pyp2rpm/blob/87f25610ef957a0738f31b217b8017cd2b1325d3/pyp2rpm/utils.py#L90
https://github.com/fedora-python/pyp2rpm/blob/87f25610ef957a0738f31b217b8017cd2b1325d3/pyp2rpm/settings.py#L23
For SPDX, it can't be more complex, I would even say it should be even simpler.

I still think that we should move to SPDX but maintaining consistency
within the distro is also important.

Regards,
H.