Re: Licensing question re: assembly include file from Texas Instruments

It would be useful to have a lawyer provide an opinion on exactly what
can be done with such a file, and of course you almost certainly won't
get one here, though I'm sure someone here might be able to point you to
a lawyer who is willing to provide advice, perhaps even without cost.

But here are some decidedly non-lawyer musings.  As to the file, I'm
pretty sure it's subject to copyright even though all it contains (from
a cursory glance) is a mapping from names to numbers.  It's essentially
documentation of an API and that's been quite an interesting legal
subject lately.  Plus, at least some versions of that file contain
original work.  Given that the original version of the file is
available, it should be trivial to separate out that original work.

Someone in some less restrictive jurisdiction than the US should write
up some original documentation for the API, using whatever information
they have available.  The actual symbol names (or at least some of them)
appear to be documented in the SDK, so it should be perfectly OK to
include those in said documentation.

Some other enterprising person might be inclined to take that nice
documentation and create an include file to make it easy for programmers
to use the API without having to define all of those numbers themselves.
I can think of at least one convenient name for such a file.  This file
could of course be under any license the author might choose.

 - J<